Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Track Newbie
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm slow for relizing this, but i never knew deals gap was right down in north carolina. thats not too far from where i stay (va). for those of you who've been, how is it? comparable to the track? a lot of cops? is there going to be another r1 event out there?

·
Premium Member
30,475 Posts
Cops depend on the weekend... I wouldn't treat it like a track but you can definetely get moving on the gap. Our forums here have a pretty huge event there every year...

Check out the cyclespace video from this year's event and the superbike's episode from last years on this page :

http://www.tobefast.com/video-clips-pg-15.html

Here is a few photo galleries..

http://www.tobefast.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4819

http://www.tobefast.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3092

Also go to the forum's "Convention" section for a TON of deals gap info and posts.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
ok i'm slow for relizing this, but i never knew deals gap was right down in north carolina. thats not too far from where i stay (va). for those of you who've been, how is it? comparable to the track? a lot of cops? is there going to be another r1 event out there?
I think the R1 and R6 Forums go there. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214937. I'm looking forward to this as well as a few of my friends. You should look into it if you are in the area, or even if you are not. I've heard it's a knock down drag 'em out great time, and you'll meet some of the greatest people.

It is NOT track. But there are some that can run it a little hard for the sake of cameras. You should put this on your "to do" list. I am going to. Sounds like a great time overall.

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
It is an absolute motorcycle heaven for anyone who loves to carve to the twisties. I usually go down about 2-3 times a year. I have met a great network of friends from all the times I have been going down.

Here are a couple sites:

www.dealsgap.com

www.tailofthedragon.com

Both have excellent info about everything in the area.

Our next trip is Nov 17/18 weekend. See if you can come down!

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
I went. Scariest road I've ever seen in my life :scared . It was raining when I went, well for the first half of the day anyway. Seeing the huge drop off on the sides made me about as humble as one can be. I had no problem maintaining a speed around the speed limit, but I ride for fun and am no expert by any means.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I was at Deal's Gap. Got back a few days ago, then picked up my 08 R1. Been a great week! NOTE I NO LONGER HAVE THE ZX14. Anyway, here is what I posted on a local forum about the trip and some pics:

stevewfl said:
The ZX14 and I had a great time at Deal's Gap and th TN/NC area. Unlike many told me, we had NO trouble with cops and we blistered the dragon more times than I can count. Also hit Cheroholla Skyway that my local friend Gunner suggested. I held a pace with the locals that new the roads and they were baffled my ZX14 could keep up. I let them know sure I could get more corner speed from a smaller bike but the ZX14 has no probs keeping up in the turns. Two of the folks rode crotch rockets 18 hours from Long island, NY

After the tourist stuff above I went and rode twisties were I once lived around Hickory, Wilkesboro, Jefferson, Blowing Rock, etc. Wanted to make it to Mt Airy and places in Allegheny Co. but no time.

The point of the trip wasn't to take pics but we snapped a few and I thought I'd share.

Pics:

Unloaded at a spot I could see the stuff from my 2nd floor hotel room (and slept with window open!)

I rode a lift while playing tourist and waiting on others

The group at one point - (we met and changed folks several times along the way)

Extremely twisty roads and beauty combined, oh my !!!!

Curves? I couldn?t get the bike low, I didn?t have pucks/leathers on this day (more ?ride? pics when photographer gets them to me).

Us at dragon

Me and Lisa the Gixxer chick

Lisa and I at the tree of shame

Lisa

The trip was ALL about the ride but we did take breaks

Paula and I

Us bored outside waiting to eat at ?No Way Jose? Mexican place

Great food and the beer/tequila was flowing, couldn?t have been as good as my large coffee in a to go cup! This Floridian was freezing the whole trip, usual temp was 67 degrees, 35 at night

***Next pics I went solo to another part of NC and road extreme twisties.***

I arrived late at night in Hickory NC and the nice lady lets me leave my stuff guarded right in front of hotel! Little southern hospitality going on

Solo was a great idea, and how could one not miss living in NC? This is a extreme twisty road going down the mountain outside Wilkesboro

Oh at one point of my trips i wanted to test the governments elevation accuracy

As I suspected, government is WRONG J, GPS says 5400 feet, with 12 foot error margin

What a place, who could not miss living here. This is outside Hickory NC

I missed the taste of the NC spring water and just walking over and grabbing a handful? and its COLD water!

More water

GSP can get me home, but planning routes required a map

Alone with the bike between Jefferson and Wilkesboro

Before heading back to town and trailering the bike for FL

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
There are a few of us that have been there a time or two...:sneaky :beer It's by no means comparable to a track, but it is comparable to a track type environment. As mentioned before, there's another R1 "event" in June that you should definitely make every attempt to make, it'll be good people, good riding and an overall GREAT time. As far as the LEO's go, it's hit and miss. It's most crowded on the hill over the weekends, so most of the time that's when you'll see them there (or won't see them cause they're hiding on the hillside waiting for you and everyone else). But they pass through randomly from time to time. But, whenever you decide to go BE CAREFUL and ride your ride, don't try to keep up with the locals or with folks that are quicker than you.... That's just a recipe for disaster. :fact

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
Where is this Deals Gap?? :dunno :crash :lol
You remember..... it's that road where that posse of moped riders kept stuffing you for 11 miles.:hammer:

·
Track Junkie
46 Posts
I live in Knoxville. I happen to make it to "The Hill" a few times a year. ;)

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Its fun!!! Just ride your own pace... try to make the convention next year!!!

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
If you do come to the convention becareful around Bogie..... he has been known to get members here drunk and then....... well you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
30,475 Posts

·
GODSPEED Chad
5,413 Posts
You remember..... it's that road where that posse of moped riders kept stuffing you for 11 miles.:hammer:
Bogie was even passed by a blue hair in a Civic Hybrid :fact

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Moped riders??? Are you sure? I swear it was the harley riders!:fact

Oh wait...maybe it was the bicyclists??

·
GODSPEED Chad
5,413 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.