Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Horsepower whisperer
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my fourth one. 馃檭
My first one that isn't blue...

I won't make the same mistake and sell it this time.

2003 Raven/with red flames.

Registered
Hey there! I had read before on an earlier post that you've had three of these. Do you keep replacing them or just adding to your collection? They are great bikes-I've argued before on this forum that the 02-03's are perhaps the best "pure street" R1's ever--still a blast and highly capable on the track but great street literbikes. Yes I have one (original owner of 03-blue) so perhaps a little biased I know, but they're still fast as fook, look awesome, are comfortable, have some usable storage under the seat, are reliable and well built, get great gas mileage (for a literbike), run cooler, and the clever fuel injection system is buttery smooth and confidence inspiring. They talk of the new gen R1's "low down" power-the engine's sound is misleading-but anyone who's owned one of the original long stroke R1's (up through 03) knows what "low down" grunt these bikes have ( I had a 99 too-regretted selling her). I'm not knocking the newer gen R1's--I have a 2016 to compare to almost every day, and they do have a strong upper midrange hit and would certainly out perform an early R1 on the track, but you give up a lot to get it in my opinion.

My 03 is all stock and always has been. It's always garaged and has never been in the rain or been laid down and is super clean and maintained properly. I've done the whole pipe/jet kit, pipe/power commander routine many times before but decided to keep this one unmolested. It's a true survivor bike kept as is and I plan on keeping it that way.

Horsepower whisperer
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet bike!

Yeah I sold the 1st ('02) one due to a crowded garage. Always have had multiple bikes.
The 2nd ('02) one got killed be a deer.
The 3rd ('03) one was the victim of not getting ridden and a yet crowded garage. Still regret selling that one.
So I've been watching the list for another for the last year. Finally found her. Won't be letting this one go!!!

Registered
05 is the absolute best classic sport bike, like the 02/03 too
Yeah, it's hard to argue your post. I personally think the 04-05-06 and even the 07-08 R1's are the best looking and sexiest R1's. I've also argued that the 06 in particular (because of the few key refinements Yamaha made that year) is probably the best overall-all around R1 for street and track capability. I almost bought an 05-blue, and sometimes regret not doing so, but ultimately kept my 03. The new R1's are the best track beasts for sure but for anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive but great entry into the literbike class these earlier R1's are hard to beat-if you can find a clean well maintained example grab it, you won't be sorry

Horsepower whisperer
Discussion Starter #6
I have no doubt that other year R1s are awesome. It's just the comfort level of the '02/'03s, at my age, trumps all. 馃榿

Horsepower whisperer
Discussion Starter #7
By the way. I just noticed my title got edited...
Did I step on some toes copying the other threads title?? 馃

1 - 7 of 7 Posts