Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 R1
5 Posts
I just started riding my 02 R1 after a few years with it just sitting in the garage. I'm the 2nd owner and bought it with just over 800 miles on it and I only have about 3,100 on it. Having kids definitely cut into riding time. Funny thing is, it took my youngest (who is now 21) getting an R6 to get me back out on mine. It is basically stock but with a Yosh RS3 carbon slip on. There definitely seems like there isn't as much after market stuff for 02-03 as there used to be.

·
Horsepower whisperer
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just started riding my 02 R1 after a few years with it just sitting in the garage. I'm the 2nd owner and bought it with just over 800 miles on it and I only have about 3,100 on it. Having kids definitely cut into riding time. Funny thing is, it took my youngest (who is now 21) getting an R6 to get me back out on mine. It is basically stock but with a Yosh RS3 carbon slip on. There definitely seems like there isn't as much after market stuff for 02-03 as there used to be.
Welcome. That is some crazy low miles. The '02/'03 design never gets old though imo. Timeless.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,067 Posts
Ah, memories...

Attachments

·
My R1 eats chip & seal.
65 Posts
So, your '02 only has 4k miles on it? drooling for pics
I love my '02 and only wish I had some money to throw at it. It's had some hard owners (at least 3 local that I know of besides original owner) but I've had it for 5 years now, and it's at about 52k tho still runs great (apparently engine was built/rebuilt at some point, and fairings are a bit battered tho the custom paint still looks good). Even tho this is the only R1 I've owned, it's my favorite with '04-'06 probably being the next one I'd think to try. Yeah, the new ones have all kinds of extra features, but '02-'03 were the first fuel injected models and the combo of looks and power just rocks. I also like the looks on '04-'06 and have become a bit familiar with their issues. To me, the later models don't look as good, and the added features like traction control, while they could be great for those that want them, I feel every added feature is just something else that can go wrong, and I prefer 'clean' with fewer components. Plus I'm poor, so there's that (an '02-'06 for under $4k {when you have to pay sales tax}) beats anything more expensive. I spend more on my bike, than I spend on my cage (currently a '02 ford ranger coincidentally).

·
Registered
2002 R1
5 Posts
So, your '02 only has 4k miles on it? drooling for pics
I love my '02 and only wish I had some money to throw at it. It's had some hard owners (at least 3 local that I know of besides original owner) but I've had it for 5 years now, and it's at about 52k tho still runs great (apparently engine was built/rebuilt at some point, and fairings are a bit battered tho the custom paint still looks good). Even tho this is the only R1 I've owned, it's my favorite with '04-'06 probably being the next one I'd think to try. Yeah, the new ones have all kinds of extra features, but '02-'03 were the first fuel injected models and the combo of looks and power just rocks. I also like the looks on '04-'06 and have become a bit familiar with their issues. To me, the later models don't look as good, and the added features like traction control, while they could be great for those that want them, I feel every added feature is just something else that can go wrong, and I prefer 'clean' with fewer components. Plus I'm poor, so there's that (an '02-'06 for under $4k {when you have to pay sales tax}) beats anything more expensive. I spend more on my bike, than I spend on my cage (currently a '02 ford ranger coincidentally).
I will try to get some pics of it when I get home from work today. The biggest thing I am finding now is that most of the after-market stuff is no longer made for it. I also remember when the '04 came out I was contemplating selling it to get one with the underseat exhaust but just couldn't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah I really wish they would sell 1000 cc's with no electronics, and a simple clean sheet design like the 02-03 R1 is. Don't get me wrong, I like electronics, computers and phones and all that, but on a bike how many years will they last? When all those electronics start to fail who ends up paying the bill and how much will they cost to replace? My guess is it wont be cheap, and if there are any problems, your bike becomes a nice lawn ornament. Which means your not riding. Then again alot of riders ( especially famous youtubers ) seem to be buying or leasing bikes for only a few years then off to get the next shiny new toy, they dont know what its like to actually OWN and MAINTAIN a bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice. @DarkHorse will be along shortly to bag on you for not having ‘enough’ miles on it.
Is that one of those naked bikes in the background ? :D

·
Registered
2002 R1
5 Posts
No that is my oldest sons yz450f that had an issue with valves and the cam chain adjuster and the other bike is my youngest sons’ ‘07 R6 that he bought a few months ago.

·
Horsepower whisperer
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'd like to drive out to Massachusetts and rescue that poor neglected bike... 😉

·
Registered
2002 R1
5 Posts
I only have a couple months driving left this year as I just found out my beer league hockey career is over and riding will be too for a bit as
I have total knee replacement surgery scheduled for August 25th

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh my! Even more neglect.
Seriously, good luck with the surgery. You will be up and around by Springtime

·
Stock 2003 R1
2003 R1 Labour of Love
38 Posts
Absolutely! I’ve had my 03’ for around 5 years. It’s always needing something, but that’s the story of riding any older bike. My current issue is figuring out if a 98-99 starter will fit in it. Current one crapped out, but I ordered the wrong one by mistake. I can’t seem to find new 5pw starter motors anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,250 Posts
Absolutely! I’ve had my 03’ for around 5 years. It’s always needing something, but that’s the story of riding any older bike. My current issue is figuring out if a 98-99 starter will fit in it. Current one crapped out, but I ordered the wrong one by mistake. I can’t seem to find new 5pw starter motors anywhere.
Bro, not sure on the starter, but that boat is SICK!

·
Stock 2003 R1
2003 R1 Labour of Love
38 Posts
Bro, not sure on the starter, but that boat is SICK!
I work at a shipyard in Maine; that’s an 83’ tugboat. BTW, yes, you can stuff a 98’-99’ starter motor in an 03’. Now looking to rebuild head; valves making a racket and it’s sounding like shart and rough feeling through the rev range. A million miles on it and abused by previous owners for sure.

·
Stock 2003 R1
2003 R1 Labour of Love
38 Posts
Shut it down before you drop one. Check the guides and seats.
I JUST ordered another used head, and new head gasket. I’m curious how they work so I figure I’ll rebuild the current one while I use the other. I use it as a daily rider; I can’t stand driving my car during the summer.

·
Stock 2003 R1
2003 R1 Labour of Love
38 Posts
Hey all, I’m at a point where I need to stop and think about what I’m trying to accomplish mechanically on my 03’. It’s been running smooth at times but then really loud and back firing. It’s at 60,000 miles so it’s past due for some work. I’d like to refresh the head but I’m not sure how deep I need to go. Intake and all is off. I’d like to see the bottom of the valves, but is that worth pulling the head off??? Any guidance?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts