Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
v
12k miles on an engine really isnt a lot, mine had 40k miles i think before it died out on me.
And if you've never rebuild an engine before i know i for sure wouldnt rebuild one, and just find a good replacement engine.

To rebuild the engine you're gonna need the right equipment, and probably have a machine shop work on the had to make it level.

If you know what you're doing swapping an engine can be easily done within a day. (For me it was the first time doing it took me like 20 hours i think:p )
Jodi, I started doing a few track days a year, and I've heard that track riding puts a lot of stress on the engine. I had a local Yamaha dealer take a look at the engine, and their mechanic told me that I might have a spun bearing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
A spun bearing makes some pretty obvious racket. I know because it happened to my 06 at one of my first track days a few years back.

Seems to be a common thing on these years unfortunately. Quite the extensive repair but I’m glad I did mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A spun bearing makes some pretty obvious racket. I know because it happened to my 06 at one of my first track days a few years back.

Seems to be a common thing on these years unfortunately. Quite the extensive repair but I’m glad I did mine.
Deer_killer, thank you for the info about the spun bearing, did you do the work yourself? How expensive was the process?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes. I did it. Fairly expensive amount of parts. Probably $1300-$1500 assuming you need a new crankshaft (I did).

Something else that should be done is having a machine shop check the cylinders for spec. And having the head cleaned up by a machine shop. Probably going to need new valves in at least the cylinder that has the bearing issue (mine did because the piston hit the valves). This machine work all adds to the above cost also.

Also need to have the space to keep it all meticulously organized. And the time without distractions to assemble the engine when you have all the parts back. Shop manual is free (can be found on this site) and is absolutely necessary as it tells you step by step how to assembly everything properly.

Basically you have to be ok with having that much work and money into a bike that will never be worth more than about $5k-$6k. For some, including me, it is worth it for several different reasons.

A used, good running engine may very well be a better option for most people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. I did it. Fairly expensive amount of parts. Probably $1300-$1500 assuming you need a new crankshaft (I did).

Something else that should be done is having a machine shop check the cylinders for spec. And having the head cleaned up by a machine shop. Probably going to need new valves in at least the cylinder that has the bearing issue (mine did because the piston hit the valves). This machine work all adds to the above cost also.

Also need to have the space to keep it all meticulously organized. And the time without distractions to assemble the engine when you have all the parts back. Shop manual is free (can be found on this site) and is absolutely necessary as it tells you step by step how to assembly everything properly.

Basically you have to be ok with having that much work and money into a bike that will never be worth more than about $5k-$6k. For some, including me, it is worth it for several different reasons.

A used, good running engine may very well be a better option for most people.
Interesting. I assumed that the rebuild process would be $3K to $4K alone, not to mention things that may cheap up during the process. I would rather rebuild because I know my engine, and I've kept up with maintenance records. I purchased my bike brand new, and it only has 11k miles on the engine.

Most to the track guys mention that a rebuilt engine with not run the same, so don't restore. Thoughts? I've run across a couple of deals on used engines, but the mileage is usually twice the miles of my engine. I have been thinking of just getting a 2020 R1 and display this one in my office. Haha.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ha ha. I considered the same thing regarding the 2020.

And if you rebuild an engine correctly, and do the head clean up (by a good machine shop who knows what they are doing) the engine will run fine and have plenty, if not more power than originally. There’s just a lot of steps that all have to performed exactly right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Old post this one, but i've only just joined. I hope u all keepin well with all the shite thats goin on.
I got a 05 R1, had it 4 12 years...just hit 50000 miles. Only major issue was stator generator fail, code 46 and i cried while pushing it 3 an half hrs home. Rossi my hero so hurt me baaad like.
I will post more but i am currently quite pissed ??
Love and respect to my fellow bikers...
LEON ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Power commander...de-cat...racing baffles ( vance an hanes) iridium plugs. K n N filter... fukin exhaust valve bypass ( seised 3 times ?) Hell brake lines.. Dynod back in the day and was runnin sweeeet. Still fast as ****. I have seen 192mph on my clock... i fukin loved it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Power commander...de-cat...racing baffles ( vance an hanes) iridium plugs. K n N filter... fukin exhaust valve bypass ( seised 3 times ?) Hell brake lines.. Dynod back in the day and was runnin sweeeet. Still fast as ****. I have seen 192mph on my clock... i fukin loved it?
Some pics of your bike would be cool .I like looking at everyone's bike, scroll back through the post and enjoy the eye candy , there are some beauties!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2006! Has 20k on it. Has tons of goodies added. M4 exhaust cat delete, PC5 with auto tune, new brakes all around, new Michelin tires and soon to have new clutch and zero gravity li-ion battery, custom levers and double bubble windscreen, 2 teeth up rear and one down front sprockets with brand new DID chain and all new tail section plastics and upper fairing.

201 - 220 of 261 Posts