Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
faster than a speeding bullet!
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't understand why people strap their forks down? can't you just lower your front end and drop it down? why spend money on straps? and if your bike is a drag bike, don't you always want the front end lowered....to match the fact that your rear end is lowered? i've seen front ends dropped by lowering their forks from the factory settings. the forks tubes stick up through the top of the bike, is that why? is it dangerous to have them up so high? hmmmmmmm help

and i also have a question about lowering links. anyone got a picture of one installed? where exactly does it go? on the rear shock mount? i can't completely figure it out. is your rear shock still working or is it compressed totally? help !!!!!!!!!! pictures are so much better, they say a million words.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
I believe the Straps are to Keep the Forks Down and Fully compressed!
If you just lower the front end, your Front Suspension will Still have some play. By using these straps you Front end is Locked down to the lowest setting possible...

*again i am no Proffessional Drag Racer, but pretty sure i read that somewhere on this site already!

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you simply pull your forks up through the trees to get it all the way down, what will happen when your suspension compresses if you hit a bump??:)

OR, if you pull them up a little bit, then strap...do you think it will hit the bodywork if the suspension compresses?:)

Thats the reasoning. :fact

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
that and when u hit throttle.. the fork tubes rise up... think about it.. u hit throttle, inner fork tubes rise up in outer fork tubes, springs rise up... all this takes time...and weight transfer is going up and not down on rear wheel. strap keeps all this from happening and instead of lifting front end up, the rear will squat and transfew weight and go. most bike will be lowered and strapped. it greatly improves 60ft times and ETs. my old 00 was .4 slower without strap. u can get into gas faster and harder with less of chance of wheelieing.

rear links are different for different bikes. some use 2 dogbones on each side, some use single dogbone in middle. R1 uses single link in middle. it doesnt attach straight to shock.. it has linkage that pivots and attaches to shock... u wont see any shocks mounted on swingarm and frame...that just pivot up and down without some sort of linkage.

here is link pic

going to post pic of bike and circle link. its in middle of linkage.. it looks just like one i have posted..but hard to see.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
circled is link.. u can see triagles on each side.. mccoys sells set of lowering triangles that uses stock link, but lowers bike. with these full adjustable links, u can raise or lower bike any amount. 5mm to 4 inches if u want. way better than just 2 or 3 hole ones that u have to take bolts off and put jack under than to raise or lower. with fully adjustable ones u can do it in few minutes with no jack.

Attachments

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Just use tie downs,cheap and easy fix for the guy who's not as pro but wannts to play...:sneaky

You can also add divers weights to the lower part of the front forks, easy fit that will also reduce lifting:scared

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
the real reason to why do people strap down their bikes.... They want to turn quicker ET's!!!!!

There is only so much you can raise the forks before the fender will hit the upper when the suspension travels. Stapping the forks gets the front end lower without the fender hitting the upper. It makes a BIG difference in launching the bike.

The launching process is 100 times different between a street bike and an well set up drag bike. It's all about getting off the clutch as quickly as possible. The lower the bike, and the less it wheelies the quicker you can get off the clutch, resulting in better 60ft's and quicker transition to WOT.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
race strap cost.. 20$.. tie down $12.. hookin up tie downs, wheelie, coming undone from fork and getting into front tire, and then crashing... i think ill spend the $8. i leave mine on all year, never take it off.just let off tension and it stays out of way.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
radial mounts cost a small ammount more, but still worth it.

1.66 60ft on a stock wheelbase 750 with a no head rider lowered and strapped.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Not everybody is familiar with a search. Its really not a big deal to help guys out especially fellow r1 owners. You ride a suzuki right strapped.LOL No wonder you didnt help. Jusk kidding.

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Tie downs come loose??:dundun:

Hell...if you want, manufacture a plate at the base of the fork, cheap and easy...same plate can hold the weights...fixed at the bottom of the forks, then strap to the yoke...done, can't come lose...:jump

BUT....if you serious about dragging then get the proper items, no arguement there, this was meant for someone who wanted to try it and not fork out the cash...most guys have tie downs so it's quick and easy.

·
Show & Goooo!!!
997 Posts
R1 caliper modification

02R1 STRAPPED

Are you still doing the caliper mods?
I have spoken to u b4 about it; i am now ready to do this; please reply or simply email me directly at [email protected]
Thanks.

How come noone uses the search button? Thats the question I want an answer to.

·
anything on two wheels
1,886 Posts
To original post- so it's a drag race thing, yes? And let's see some pics of those. It's not my thing but I'd love to see some, in action! 02R1Strapped, your GSXR looks low and fast, do you also run an R1 ? And robavila76, what caliper work ? I tried a couple of times to start dicusions on this subject for my 07' R1.

·
Registered
53 Posts
there were radial strap mounts on ebay for 04-06 r1 as well as 07-08 models, might check there is you need them!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

That's one hell of a back tire dude. It's obvious by looking at the tire, that it is designed to provide the largest contact patch in a straight line. That back tire must cost at least $300 dollars.

Cool shiot dude :thumbup

Let me guess, a properly set up street bike turned drag bike will run mid to low 9's in the 1/4 mile

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
How come noone uses the search button? Thats the question I want an answer to.

Sometimes when you use the search function, 5 kazillion threads come up, and you could spend like three weeks trying to sift through them, and still not find what you are looking for. Sometimes it is better to simply start a new thread. Maybe a newer member who has not read some of the ancient threads, could give some valuable feedback that maybe wasn't offered in some of the ancient threads. Plus starting a new thread initiates conversation, and brings the board members together.

Hell, I never heard of strapping the forks down until I clicked on this thread. I learned some shit that I never woulda learned if not for the thread strarter starting this thread :thumbup

Peace out
check ya later homies

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.