Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Original One
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read this on here so many times - Why do Yamaha expect you to invest time and money to at least change the front (or rear) sprocket and perhaps more to make a newer R1 really "Go".

There was a time in the distant past when you could expect this "out of the box".

·
Registered
241 Posts
I DEF agree with this. I think the bike should come "ready to go", or at least closer to it, right out of the box. I can understand the other "usual" changes such as exhaust and whatever, but they KNOW most of us are using these bikes as "street use", yet they geared it WAY too high in my opinion. Who knows. Good thing they are soo damn sexy, or I think Yamaha would have been in alot of trouble.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
My opinion is, what is good for normal street riding is what the stock setup is all about. If you feel you need a little more bottom end or make it more track worthy it's not a very costly change.

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,287 Posts
My opinion is, what is good for normal street riding is what the stock setup is all about. If you feel you need a little more bottom end or make it more track worthy it's not a very costly change.
I agree. Gearing depends on your use and personal preference. Quite a few people like the stock gearing, but if you don't, it is pretty cheap and easy to change.

·
Administrator
25,215 Posts
Having read this on here so many times - Why do Yamaha expect you to invest time and money to at least change the front (or rear) sprocket and perhaps more to make a newer R1 really "Go".

There was a time in the distant past when you could expect this "out of the box".
0 to 100 in 6 seconds that's really really "GO" to me! :fact

·
Registered
282 Posts
lol

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
Because Yamaha builds the bike for the race track first, and then as a secondary effort they add lights and mirrors. By changing the gearing you're making it more fit your needs.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
probably also to help protect those with less brain cells

·
178 Posts
C'mon, stop giving william a hard time about this, you all know what he's talking about.

The earlier R1's were better set up for street riding "out of the box".

It's not just the gearing, it's also (or more importantly) the stroke of the motor. Those two together made the earlier R1's tremendously more streetable (pre 04).

IMO, Since these bikes are sold to the public primarily as street bikes, they are STREET BIKES FIRST and should be set up and sold as such (from the factory).

If you want to race them, then YOU can set them up as such. NOT the other way around.

(this, and that "upside down looking" swing arm are why I don't own a 04 & up R1)

·
all im hearing is LETS GO!
684 Posts
OK this is what i know, might be just Australia, but sounds like its in the US too, they gear them so tall to pass emission and noise regulations, because at set speed in X gear (not sure what the speed or gear is) they get sound and emission readings and pass it, but by making it taller it drops those few hundred RPM's that are much needed to pass it!
In Aus as soon as you give the R1 a tune up its no longer legal and if checked you will fail!! thats BS!! but thats revenue raising for you...

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
C'mon, stop giving william a hard time, you all know what he's talking about.
The earlier R1's were better set up for street riding "out of the box".

It's not just the gearing, it's also (or more importantly) the stroke of the motor. Those two together made the R1 a tremendously streetable bike
The MOST streetable R1's are pre 04.

IMO, Since these bikes are sold to the public primarily as street bikes, they are STREET bikes first and should be set up and sold as such.

If you want to race them, then you can set them up as such. NOT the other way around.

(this, and that "upside looking" swing arm are why I don't own a 04 up R1)
But if they change the engine to accomodate your street needs they'd get destroyed on the race track. The bikes are set up for the street because of the rules for racing. Plus if you look at Yamaha's demographics more R1 owners take their bike to the track than other bikes.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
IMO, Since these bikes are sold to the public primarily as street bikes, they are STREET bikes first and should be set up and sold as such.

If you want to race them, then you can set them up as such. NOT the other way around.

(this, and that "upside looking" swing arm are why I don't own a 04 up R1)

:cryin

:sing:

·
Cheese is 50 cents extra.
206 Posts
IMO, it is an attempt to detune the bike so that idiots would have less of a chance of hurting themselves.

It's a known that these bikes are faster than all hell and capable of more than what most riders could ever throw at it.

Kind of a half hearted attempt.

If you want more from the bike but don't have the brain power or common sense to make the small changes then maybe you should really rethink what your needs really are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.