Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like Im a pretty decent all around rider. For all out riding I will never get rid of my R1. It rails in turns, has good power, a slender stance etc. As much as I enjoy working on my turns I really enjoy doing different standups, stoppies and all of that. Ive noticed some things though about the bike while in its balance point ( either standups, sitdowns, stoppies) that I just wanted to hear if anyone else had. After I read a few posts Ill be happy to go into detail. Thanks guys

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
:confused:

The R1 is a twitchy SOB, for me, it wobbles and duck walks like nobodies business when doin stand ups down the highway.

It wobbles enough that it scares me!:eek:

The balance point is super high, which could go hand in hand with the wobble. Oh well, i think it looks sick with its nose so high in the air.:rock

Also, the rearsets are known to break off, which leaves a bad feeling in my stomach since I still have stock ones.:dunno

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
skinnyR! said:
:confused:

The R1 is a twitchy SOB, for me, it wobbles and duck walks like nobodies business when doin stand ups down the highway.

It wobbles enough that it scares me!:eek:

The balance point is super high, which could go hand in hand with the wobble. Oh well, i think it looks sick with its nose so high in the air.:rock

Also, the rearsets are known to break off, which leaves a bad feeling in my stomach since I still have stock ones.:dunno
I agree with skinnyR! 100%. I have noticed exactly the same thing. But it's kinda cool to get on a Honda or Suzuki and pull wheelies 10X easier than on your R1 since the balance point is so much lower and consequently more stable. I wouldn't trade the R1's handling or looks for a lower balance point ever though.

·
I like to Ride
565 Posts
I don't have problems with my R1-Its mainly technique-A good rider can compensate for the R1's lack of balance during a wheelie. I've learned that atmospheric conditions such as wind really like to bully the R1 around.

·
2003 R1 Silver
253 Posts
i think my r1 wheelies better and easier then my gsxr 750 did. It does wobble if your speed is up to high but if you jerk it up to the right spot instead of lofting it, it seems very easy to ride on one wheel

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
I pretty much feel the same way, it wobbles like crazy, but if ur relaxed, you can just have it swaying back and forth. I'm kinda used to it now, and don't mind the wobble. It adds to the wheelie in my opinion, cuz when ever my buddy ride behind me and see me doin a stand up, while the thing is just goin off side to side. He always comments on how crazy it looks, but sweet at the same time. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
..and the welded subframes on pre 02 models, and the weak subframes on ALL the models

...and the CG is all ****ed up for stoppies, balance point is really low in stoppies and the bike gets crooked as hell

...and everything cast aluminum on the bike has a tendency to break at the worst time

...and the tank is pretty small, which makes doing highchair stuff, or tankspins, etc a bit more difficult

·
Wheelie's are like crack!!
92 Posts
Hey adamgeek, do u notice that on the 02/03 r1's that stands ups tend to lean a bit to the right? Even when u let go of the bars when coasting? I never have that problem on my 99? My weight is even on both pegs?

·
92 Posts
nope, had the rear tire adjusted and the roads are flat and smooth. any other suggestions? i know another forum member has this problem too??

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
Truthfully I had the same problem, or so I thought. When I was running the stock dunflop, it pulled to the right. When I changed to Pilots, it seemingly pulled to the left, till I aligned it properly. Now it goes straight as an arrow, unless I lean

How old is your tire?

·
92 Posts
damn that's exactly what i did. Did a smoke show with the crapy dunflops so that i a good reason to tell my wife i need new tires and slapped on the Pilots sports, hmm maybe i'll check it again,
Thanks skinnyR! :riding

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
skinnyR! said:
Remember, the swingarm has little notches in it to help u adjust, so that each side is equal and at the same point.
I was just going to mention that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the replies! You all hit the nail on the head as far as what I had been noticing. I believe the slightly higher balance point may be due to the fact that the motor is farther forward than in some bikes. A generic way to see this is by looking at the swingarm in relationship to the rearsets. Much longer on the R1 than say the Gixxers. One of the first wrecks I had on this bike was when I found out how trully low the balance point is in a stoppie! Thanks again

·
Registered
166 Posts
Warner said:
Thanks everyone for the replies! You all hit the nail on the head as far as what I had been noticing. I believe the slightly higher balance point may be due to the fact that the motor is farther forward than in some bikes. A generic way to see this is by looking at the swingarm in relationship to the rearsets. Much longer on the R1 than say the Gixxers. One of the first wrecks I had on this bike was when I found out how trully low the balance point is in a stoppie! Thanks again
yeah i did some endos on my friends 01 R1 and dayamn it did feel low compred to my gsxr...... i asked the same thing on stuntlife forums and one guy said it sucks for endos... anyone know whY??? anyone busting 300+ft endos on the R1?? i hardly see darius do any endos on that R1 he has on the video servin it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts