Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why would I buy an R1?

4K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Shadow R One 
#1 ·
What's the reason everyone gets an R1? Should I get one?

#2 ·
Well, try one and I think you´ll see the light. I had a Blade and thought it was REAL fast and wheelied easily and all that. Then I got to try an R1, and the relationship between me and my Fireblade was never the same again. The Blade felt big, clumsy, slow and had crap brakes. So I sold it and bought the very same R1 I tried earlier. I haven´t regretted it. The R1 has it´s faults, though. Not good enough brakes being one of them. The brake discs (rotors to you ´merkans) simply aren´t big enough. Which leads to some scary moments every once in a while. But stick to the speedlimits and it´s not gonna bother you...

But all in all, it´s the greatest thing since, uhh, since the Fireblade, I guess.

GO GET ONE, NOW!!!

#3 ·
I agree with Mattias1!!

I also agree about the breaks...i think they are to soft or ...hmmm how shall i explain...after i couple of hard breaks (stoppies) i almost can press the handle all the way in without full effect.
And I also think that it´s lousy feeling in the handle.

Do u think that some of this problems will disapear if I get...hmmm stålomspunna bromsslangar...don´t know the english word:)

#6 ·
Twisted--

Are the EBC pads a softer compound than stock? Did you have to get the stock rotors turned before you put on the new pads?

The brakes on my R1 are the only thing I have a complaint about. My 94 RF900 had better brakes than the R1, but nowhere near the same power!!:D

#7 ·
The EBC are a sintered pad they felt great right out of the box,did not have to turn the rotors. All I did was the braided hoses (don't go Kevlar they will deteriate(sp) after time),EBC HH pads and dot 5 fluid and I can do stoppies on a dime and get change.

#8 ·
EBC and other manufactuers make various grades of pads, from standard road compounds through to very special 'race team only' compounds. They are composed of different types of materials,adhesives, backings and so on.
You should not need to do any machining to your rotors to fit any pads, if they are the same fitment.
I have run Kevlar lines on all my bikes for many years now, with no problems, but thats down to personal choice, I like the fact that they don't chafe the paintwork if they happen to rub on anything and you can choose a varity of colours to suit your bike.
I have used EBC,Dunlopad,Carbone Lorraine and Performance Friction. The Performance Friction are the best for my set up, but cost £66.00 per side on the front !! next came EBC sintered and Carbone, very close call, Dunlopad only stayed in for one day and a track day, then got binned.

#9 ·
As far as the Kevlar I was going by what I have been tols(should have put that in my post) but now that I know different that might not be a bad idea since I will soon be painting my bike black and going with yellow powder coated wheels and yellow decals,some yellow hoses might just finish it off. Thanks for the correction Spike:D

#12 ·
Brakes soft? ...lousy brakes...? ...had to upgrade...? I find the brakes just fine; I must lead a sheltered life. Check the avatar - I usually come down from 100kph with the rear flyin', no problem. How many in a row do you have to do to get this loss at the lever? Maybe the brakes get cooled from the wheelie that usually follows:D

#15 ·
Because it is the badest bike on the planet. Hands down! Great track bike. I have raced mine for a year now and I love it! Nothing can compare. Huge hp! You will never forgive yourself if you buy something else. I have had many other bikes. GSXR, HONDAS. Nothing compares to this bike. I rode the new gixxer 1000. I like my R1. You can't go wrong with this bike!:D

#24 ·
Bad Brakes?

The brakes on the 02 are great. I don't know about previous years but I haven't put any aftermarket lines on yet and have abused the shit out of them for atleast 45 minutes and had a tiny bit of fade but they are all going to fade a little when hot. They were still predictable and solid. My gixxer buddies have fits after 15-20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.