Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 year old son who knows how to twist the throttle on a bike as well as knows what a kickstart does (on my dirtbike).

So the question is this. IS it OK to get the little guy a 50cc bike (he was sitting on one last week and it's perfect size for him) even though his mom says he has to learn how to ride a bicycle first?

We all know that riding a motorized 2 wheel vehicle is easier to balance than a bicycle! Also the bike has an adjustable rev limiter on it.

I say if he's old enough to go down hill skiing he old enough for a little dirtbike. She may kill me if I bring one home. I've been looking for a good used one since he's been born.

What do you think? Buy one or keep my wife happy??

:bs

· 1LR1BTR
56 Posts
Get it, put some training wheels on it, and let him rip.

Or you could start w/ a small 4-wheeler, which will teach the motorized basics such as braking, throttle control etc.

Oh, get him some good gear too :)

Ryan

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Man Blue Streak You are one cool Dad !! I only wish My Dad would have done that for Me !! Bring home the wife something nice too so she will take it easy on ya :thumbup

· Registered
203 Posts
I have 4 girls , 2,5,7and 10 . Got them a Honda Z50 and a ATC 70 . They have a blast riding . I bought them good helmets , wife was fine after that . Them outside till you make them come in makes her day a little quieter in the house . 3 is where the middle 2 started driving doing well at it . I just crank in the throttle stop and they are fine . I almost split a gut laughing the other day . 10 year old comes and wants me to watch . She slips up to the tank and does a rolling burnout on the 50 on the gravel laneway . Who says they dont pay attention to the stunting videos :D . Wife didnt have the same thought but it was still funny .

Dave

· A cultural ****-up
62 Posts
buy it for him, when his mom see's how much he loves it, she wont mind him having it anymore. I had one when i was about that age, and have been riding dirtbikes ever since.

At 14 i was racing amateur motocross, and at 16 i was competing on a cr500 :)

Dirtbikes are amazing fun, just teach the little guy not to run into stuff :crash

and get him a cool little "Squid in Training" t-shirt when he accidently pulls his first wheelie :thumbup

· R1's Rule!!!
94 Posts
Go for it!!

I can speak from experience, that the younger you can get your little man started the better off he will be. Start him off on a bike with training wheels. Do NOT start him on a 4 wheeler, if you want him on a bike(Bikes and quads are too different) . Do not make the mistake , however , of assuming he will like riding. Do not push him into riding, and do not get on him too hard about his riding. Keep Mom away at first, she will be WAY nervous!! I started my little guy on a bike when he was 4 on a Z50R. Unfortunately, he did not keep riding, and eventually has out grown riding(He's now 17 years old). I would suggest a Yamaha PW 50 at first, then moving up to the small KTM's, and then to the Kawasaki bikes9KX65). I am mentoring a 12 year old now, he is riding an RM80, a very good first 80cc bike. Good Luck, and I hope all goes well!!

P.S. Remember the"Golden Rule" when riding with your kid. All that matters is that they are being safe, and having FUN!!! Nothing else matters. If they aren't having fun, the whole experience is wasted.

Dave

· My R1 HATES Squids!!!
64 Posts
Where were you when MY dad came along? What a cool guy.

.... but really... 2 1/2 years old??? Sounds a weeeeeeee bit young. Maybe 5 yrs old would be more in order. Unless you're trying to make a superbike racer out of him by age 12 (hey, it's possible) I'd have to side w/ your wife.

.... b'sides... I think you just want to give the lil' 50 a spin yourself!! :rock I know I would! :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.