Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the tires on my standard 2016 R1 to a slightly bigger size from the standard 190/55. I'm looking at the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V3's in either a 200/55 or 200/60, however I might just end up going with the new taller 200/60 size which comes standard on the panigale v4, so I'm just wondering if these sizes will definitely fit?
I understand the R1M comes with a 200 rear, but I was just wanting to double check it will fit on the standard R1 since it comes with a 190 from factory. (Sorry for sounding like a complete noob here)

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes they will, I have 200 on mine. Expect it it to be slightly taller, also your speedo may be out. But you can use a speedo healer by Healtech. I don't bother as mine is a track bike ?

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,312 Posts
same wheel, sub-frame, swinger, tail, etc.. wheres the issue? :D

chances are the speedo isnt 100% accurate from the factory anyway
so a speedo healer is something to consider.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My bike handles totally different with a 190 to 200. When the suspension was changed and set up it was set up 200 tyre although it had 190 in it at the time. I rode it once with 190 before putting the 200 on and it was slow to tip in. It was a totally different bike when I put the 200 tyre in. The Aprilia was the same, I was told it would not handle or tip slow with a 200 tyre, but I changed the suspension setup on that myself but it took a while but I got rough idea of some who was running the same bike and tyre, but our weights were different . My advice is to get a suspension setup when putting on bigger tyres. The the R1 has FGRT forks with fork extenders with Ohlins shock on the rear.
You will have people say a 180 is better on the track than 200, it is crap. If you setup up the suspension to suit the tyre there is no difference but a bigger surface patch when lent over and coming out of corners inspires more confidence . A suspension setup is worth every penny, when you look at a perfect tyre wear especially on track you know the suspension is doing its job properly

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
same wheel, sub-frame, swinger, tail, etc.. wheres the issue? :D

chances are the speedo isnt 100% accurate from the factory anyway
so a speedo healer is something to consider.
As the tyre is taller and circumference is bigger, for every Revolution the tyre travels further. It has happened on both bikes so I know it to be true ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've rode both 200/55 and 200/60 Dunlop (and Pirelli - 200/60/17) slicks, and be aware that the width (first number) isn't as relevant as is the profile of the tire. What I'm saying is that a 200/55 will handle differently than the 200/60. The 200/60 will have a taller profile, thus giving more shoulder area, meaning the tire will drop in quicker.

I would say that if it's just a street bike then a 190/55 would be more than enough to give you all the grip you need, and it will handle much better than say a 190/50. Unless your bike came with a 200 rear from the factory then don't go larger just because. This is referring to a street bike.

Refer to my first paragraph for the sizes for liter bike slicks for the track.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,689 Posts
I thought the speed sensor rings on the back/front wheel should provide the correct speed regardless of the tire change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,312 Posts
As the tyre is taller and circumference is bigger, for every Revolution the tyre travels further. It has happened on both bikes so I know it to be true ?
what i meant is it should fit no issues. did you even read the post? :(

reading some of the follow up posts, if the ECU already takes into account the TC
mechanism and gets its readings off the 'ring' then i guess it wouldnt matter.

if speaking purely about going with a wider tire / different profile then it would affect
it. Its very common and not something you've magically discovered yourself..

but thanks for the laughter.. its 2020,.. basic knowledge.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,312 Posts
ahh! okay so it does affect it no matter what then.. yeh that makes sense as the
TC ring itself is stationary and its not changing. The profile will still affect tire
rotation so it DOES have to be adjusted for..

and yes, every bike is off from the factory.. i like an accurate speedo as
i hate having to think 'how fast am i really going' when the popo shows up.

most of them assume you have no clue what speed you were really doing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi bacchus40, on the Aprilia V4, you can recalibrate when you fit the bigger tyre. My brother has one I remember him doing it.
Apparently you can adjust it to suit on a R1 with a race ecu, but I think that is more for the traction control than anything else. I only have an oem ecu and loom on mine atm but the traction and slide seams to be fine. I ride it on 2 on everything but that is on track.
But it is getting mapped soon and flashed for the second time, as I am not happy with the the throttle opening, but it will have four race maps on it then instead of the oem. So i may be running it on different traction modes after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the tires on my standard 2016 R1 to a slightly bigger size from the standard 190/55. I'm looking at the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V3's in either a 200/55 or 200/60, however I might just end up going with the new taller 200/60 size which comes standard on the panigale v4, so I'm just wondering if these sizes will definitely fit?
I understand the R1M comes with a 200 rear, but I was just wanting to double check it will fit on the standard R1 since it comes with a 190 from factory. (Sorry for sounding like a complete noob here)

Thanks!! :)

Coming from a guy who has a 2016 R1 and has made the switch from a 190/55 to the pirelli supercorsa V3 200/60, if you ride hard and push the bike, make the switch. I will never go back to a 190 or even a 200/55. The bike handles totally different and wants to fall into every corner and when you think you’ve leaned as much as possible they just want to keep going. The grip is second to none. Those tires on the street though take a huge set of balls to use them to their potential. The bike does sit an inch taller so be prepared for that if you struggle to walk the bike around now. With all that said I love the change and will never go back. Depending on your riding style I’d go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coming from a guy who has a 2016 R1 and has made the switch from a 190/55 to the pirelli supercorsa V3 200/60, if you ride hard and push the bike, make the switch. I will never go back to a 190 or even a 200/55. The bike handles totally different and wants to fall into every corner and when you think you’ve leaned as much as possible they just want to keep going. The grip is second to none. Those tires on the street though take a huge set of balls to use them to their potential. The bike does sit an inch taller so be prepared for that if you struggle to walk the bike around now. With all that said I love the change and will never go back. Depending on your riding style I’d go for it.
Did you have any issues with traction control/Speedo ?

·
Venom X/O
26,540 Posts
There’s no difference in grip from a 200/55 or 200/60. Just set the bike up for either tire, and it’ll have plenty of grip. Way more than any typical track day or street rider, even racer. Most professional racers were going around tracks faster on a 190/50 than the typical rider today

·
Registered
2017 R1 Two Clicks Out Racing/RRPS Race Bike
160 Posts
I've raced on 190/55, 200/55, 200/60, 205/65, makes zero difference to the TC, speedo, or any other functions on the bike, speed is read from front, stock dash is off my loads anyway, the SCX was the best I've used, but also the most expensive, for 99.9% or mortals, 200/55-200/60 is more than you'll ever need.

·
Venom X/O
26,540 Posts
I've raced on 190/55, 200/55, 200/60, 205/65, makes zero difference to the TC, speedo, or any other functions on the bike, speed is read from front, stock dash is off my loads anyway, the SCX was the best I've used, but also the most expensive, for 99.9% or mortals, 200/55-200/60 is more than you'll ever need.
The X is a qualifier, that things soft as all get out lol. Prob didn’t last more than a session like the Dunlop qualifier tire. Three laps and they chuck it

·
Registered
2017 R1 Two Clicks Out Racing/RRPS Race Bike
160 Posts
The X is a qualifier, that things soft as all get out lol. Prob didn’t last more than a session like the Dunlop qualifier tire. Three laps and they chuck it
😂😂 yup, it had the best grip I've ever felt from a rear, especially with the 125 front the bike felt incredible, but it only lasted 10 laps at Portimao before it was dead, came In after 5 to check pressures as I felt it moving about a fair bit, we had Pirelli supporting us too which helped, alas, pressures were fine, 5 laps later it looked like this.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

1 - 19 of 19 Posts