Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sliver beast
2020 R1
Joined
·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is iffy here. I was wondering if these tires would last one more track day @ VIR. This is my last track day of the season and I really didn't want to buy new tires unless I really needed to.. Thanks guys


Hers the front
 

Attachments

·
Sliver beast
2020 R1
Joined
·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I road on the street for about 30 miles so all the rubber balls came off from the last track day... Wow after looking at the tires on the pictures they look alittle bad.... lol
 

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
How many sessions are on them? Any issues with the tires starting to slide? There is not much rubber left on the side of that rear, depending on how hard you push them, and how they looked on a direct visual inspection, I would probably not pass that rear tire on tech, or depending on the wear of the other side, ask you to have the tire flipped and then retech the bike, let you run the AM sessions, and then ask you to put better tires on for the afternoon sessions.
 

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
Joined
·
14,328 Posts
elegalr1der said:
Maybe just a rear. You should go through 2 rears to each front.
COMmon mis consipection. sometimes i push the fron alot harder then the rear and need to replace it at the same time. i also figure if i am going to replace one im going to do both for peace of mind
 

·
Welcome to our ADDICTION !
Joined
·
110 Posts
I just had the same debate with my R6 tires before Summit Point and the general opinion was it's not the amount of tread left on the tires but the number of heat cycles that the tires have seen. They look like super corsas and the sales rep told me that they were good for 3-4 heat cycles only which would translate to 3 track days with tire warmers but since I don't have warmers they would only be good and trustworthy for about 2 track days. All this shit was due to the heat cycles only. I actually had 5 track days on them and about 1000 miles on the street but they would not heat up and stick as quickly.

Do the math and add up what the fairings and clip ons and foot pegs cost and then the loss of time from work and loss of income and we all would agree that the tires would be a very small expense in comparison.

WOW that was a lot but since I just lived this I thought I would add my 800 cents worth. Hope it helps.
 

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
2005R1 said:
I just had the same debate with my R6 tires before Summit Point and the general opinion was it's not the amount of tread left on the tires but the number of heat cycles that the tires have seen.
It's both. For track days, the SCs tolerate more than only 3 heat cycles. They will be cycled several times per track day, even with warmers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
2005R1 said:
I just had the same debate with my R6 tires before Summit Point and the general opinion was it's not the amount of tread left on the tires but the number of heat cycles that the tires have seen. They look like super corsas and the sales rep told me that they were good for 3-4 heat cycles only which would translate to 3 track days with tire warmers but since I don't have warmers they would only be good and trustworthy for about 2 track days.
As a SALES rep, I would claim that as well!
As a CUSTOMER, I would ask then in what respect a tire should age due to heat cycles. (Before answering, please consider that a tire standing in the sun will experience a more severe heat cycle than on the track).
And there is a heat cycle basically at every stop as well!

Sounds like b.s. to me (if relevant, then to people like Rossi, if any)
It there is an impact, then it's the temperature itself, multiplied by the exposure time (not the cycle).
But you are getting them really hot, they won't last long enough to cause trouble ;)

Juerg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Juerg said:
As a SALES rep, I would claim that as well!
As a CUSTOMER, I would ask then in what respect a tire should age due to heat cycles. (Before answering, please consider that a tire standing in the sun will experience a more severe heat cycle than on the track).
And there is a heat cycle basically at every stop as well!

Sounds like b.s. to me (if relevant, then to people like Rossi, if any)
It there is an impact, then it's the temperature itself, multiplied by the exposure time (not the cycle).
But you are getting them really hot, they won't last long enough to cause trouble ;)

Juerg
Sorry dude but you are wrong with that info... tires do not go through heat cycles if they sit in the sun... (I have had this discussion with the michelin man...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
throttle-cntrl said:
Sorry dude but you are wrong with that info... tires do not go through heat cycles if they sit in the sun... (I have had this discussion with the michelin man...)
Ever touched them in summer? I really don't see how one can get to that statement. In full sunshine they will all the time reach in excess of 70°C, what I'd call considerably hot for a road tire!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
throttle-cntrl said:
I think the question to ask is at what temp and duration does it take for a tire to "cycle"...
Right!
Tires can be overheated and get degraded in their structure, but that you notice immediately and not only after a temperature cycle, i.m.h.o.
So if the tire was fine up to the end of the session, it should be equaly fine at the beginning of a new session.

Juerg
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top