Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the season is done with.. I'm thinking about winter mods.

I ride a lot on the street, and do some track days (road course), so I didn't really want to stretch or drop the bike's height. HOWEVER, thinking back at the insane amount of money I've spent on clutches, the horrible second half of the season I had, and since I'm considering racing for points next year...

I'm thinking a 0-6" modified swingarm might do the trick with two sets of chains. this way I can run a good 4-6" over at the drag, and then 0" over on the street and for road courses. and if I could find an adjustable (0-3") dogbone of some sort for the 04+ bikes... that would definitely do me some good.

so the questions:
1) for welded extensions to my existing swingarm, I've found spencer cycle for $425.

are there any other shops that do this sort of work? comments on prices, experiences, etc are welcome. I'm trying to avoid using bolt on extensions. I may be swapping back and forth between 0 to 6" quite often, and heard the bolt ons press in, and may wear the swingarm over time if I keep taking them on/off.

2) I've only found solid 2 or 3" lowering links for the '04+ bikes. does anyone make an adjustable one that is easy to go from stock height to lowered?

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
i know coby adams from adams performance did an r1 arm(RG34 i think) . it was in the for sale section. spencer cycle did mine and i am very happy. changing swingarms sucks i can tell you now. at time they didnt make bolt ons for the 04 when it first came out, why ii had mine done. as far as links concern, if ur gonna change swinarm, ur gonna have shock and lnkage out anyways. i havent seen adjustable height link for 04, but im sure there is one out there. just dont remeber where i saw it. i think my arm is 2-7 in over adjustable. ill do som more searching and see what i can find for ya bro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nukedog said:
Get Bolt on extensions for what you want to do...
you don't think taking them off/on all the time will wreck the swingarm? or rather.. wear the swing arm so that they don't fit as snug? I was under the impression they were a very tight fit, almost a press fit that helps it hold things together.

I saw that tobefast.com advertises 0-6" bolt on extensions... but I don't see how you can have the extension on, and be stock length. I'll have to give them a call to see what thats all about.

Everywhere else I've found extensions are 4-6" over stock. which doesn't do me much good unless I want to keep bolting/unbolting the extension.

maybe I'll hold off on spencer until I figure out the best route. comments/recomendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nukedog said:
Good point. I can tell you that you either want a drag bike or twisaty bike - it's a pain in the ass to do the 2 chain thing...

I WANT IT ALL! lol

I hear ya. I'm contemplating trying to get my Duc back together and make it a twisty bike. The road course here is pretty small with lots of tight turns, and the R1 is way too much bike for that track. SV650s, and Duc 750s/900s are common weapons of choice there. Most of the track is pretty slow, and you're constantly flipping the bike from one side to the other, so lighter and nimble helps a ton.

Anywho... I was thinking I would get two chains, and a bucket of clip style master links. I seriously would be swapping almost twice a week. ugh.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
okay here is what i was told by spencers machinist. isent my arm to them with bike had 40miles on it. they were going to use it to make bolt ons. after looking he said the material was too thin and not safe for why arm was made, so they did weld on for mine. gotta remember this was in Feb 04 and nothing was available for bikes yet. really bolt ons did not come available till about 8-10 months ago or so. even some people that listed them when i was looking listed them, but did not have them and had not made them yet. now they are available. do they work? yes some have them on there bikes. can it hurt swingarm taking them on and off? im sure after XX number of times, it could do some damage. i am by no means an engineer or machinist for that matter. i know changing the arm sucks really really bad. so taking bolt ons on and off would be alot easier but still rather large pain.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1longR1 said:
okay here is what i was told by spencers machinist. isent my arm to them with bike had 40miles on it. they were going to use it to make bolt ons. after looking he said the material was too thin and not safe for why arm was made, so they did weld on for mine. gotta remember this was in Feb 04 and nothing was available for bikes yet. really bolt ons did not come available till about 8-10 months ago or so. even some people that listed them when i was looking listed them, but did not have them and had not made them yet. now they are available. do they work? yes some have them on there bikes. can it hurt swingarm taking them on and off? im sure after XX number of times, it could do some damage. i am by no means an engineer or machinist for that matter. i know changing the arm sucks really really bad. so taking bolt ons on and off would be alot easier but still rather large pain.

right, but if I went the welded swing arm route, I wouldn't be changing the arm to go between drag setup and street/road course. I would simply be swapping chains.

So the swingarm swap would be just once. take it off... send it out to be welded.. put it back on. and from that point on, I'd simply swap chains.

I'm going to make some calls shortly about various bolt-on extensions to see what I can dig up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts