Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
My Baby
594 Posts
Full tank of gas, with stabilizer.....
I like to give mine a nice wash and wax prior.....
Battery tender

I pay 15 a week to have mine stored at the dealer... pricey, but at least i dont have to worry about it...

·
Registered
396 Posts
At the bare minimum put fuel stabilizer in and run it through it. I got busy and never did this one year... of coarse the bike wouldn't start and when i ripped open the carbs the bottom of the float bowls and needles were filled with a gel... If your gonna keep your current oil in the bike make sure you add some fresh stuff to neutralize the acid levels that built up in it, I personally prefer to put fresh oil on it. If you have a alarm make sure you disconnect it, preferably preferably disconnect and take the battery inside and use a battery tender on it over the winter. Keep the wheels off concrete if possible (carboard or wood will do, check air presure too). Make sure the pressure in them is good. I personally like to oil up the chain heavily so it doesn't rust. Bare in mind your best bet is to keep it in a heated place also, at least make sure its covered from the elements.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
I do the same thing every year and it's been working great forever......I fill the tank up to just below full, add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil to the tank.....bring her home, give her a good wash/wax and general maintenance (lube the key cylinders and cables, check air pressures, etc...) and then take her out for a quick but spirited run to get the Sta-Bil thru the entire fuel system and to warm up the chain.....a little Chain Wax and I put her up on the stands in the garage....battery out and on the tender and put the cover on the bike....

Then maybe once or twice during the winter on a nice day I'll push her out into the driveway, drop the battery in and let her run a while.....good for the soul to hear the bike run in the dead of winter.

Come spring I have never had anything but great luck....battery in, and fire her up....and off we go!

·
Registered
199 Posts
once gain......

fuel stabilizer
battery tender
clean/lubricate chain
fresh oil change
wash/wax
put on stands

and once in a while go in your garage to look at your bike and wish it was summer already.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Florida - I ride year round

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
jackal99a said:
Florida - I ride year round
California - winterize means inserting the fleece liner in the jacket...

:finger

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
SQUID1 said:
i'm gonna prep my today, it's freezing out there.
26 when I went to work...it's 27 right now.

·
ALPHA KENNY ONE
830 Posts
when i search, i keep finding old posts which talk about fogging the carbs and putting oil in the injectors for the older R1s.. what do us fuel injected guys (2004-2005) do, should we do something similar? so far I plan to:

Change the oil and filter,
Put stabil in the tank and take it for a short run,
Remove battery and trickle charge over winter months,

anything else? thanks -jammer

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.