Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my Wolf Carbon Fiber High Mount pipe from Peter finally and installed it. (The shipping was a bunch of crap, but that’s not Peters fault. Just keep that in mind when you order overseas)

Right off the bat, the mid pipe would not go onto the can but there was a slot on the pipe so I used a large flat-head to spread it a bit to go over the inlet connector of the can.

I noticed that the look of the CF on the can itself was less than I expected by a long shot. (See pictures later) Additionally, the connector clamps provided and the spacer for the hanger and the hanger itself were visually terrible looking due to a combination of poor packing and just plain ugliness from manufacturing. Not only that, but the exit of the end cap had a small scratch in it! (Peter later told me to just buff it out) :confused:
I considered stopping at this point but had already removed my stock pipe and wanted to see if performance and sound were up to par.

I finished installing the pipe and it did in fact sound pretty darn good! Very good tone and extremely quiet and this is how I like pipes as Im not into the screamers. I went on a 10 minute ride and noticed no change for the good or bad in the power. There was a bit of backfire, but this has always been the case in the past with other pipes/bikes so I thought nothing of it.

As far as the problems go, I emailed back and forth with Peter;

I informed him that I would be giving a full report on the R1 forum and wanted to be fair and give him a chance. When I first expressed my disappointment, he said that the various ‘sundry items’ (i.e. clamps, hanger, spacers, etc.) were the best available in the U.K. and that’s as good as it gets. He said to just buff out the scratch in the end of the pipe as its soft aluminum and he was sorry that it probably happened in customs. He really stands behind the quality of the CF on the pipe, but in my opinion it doesn't hold a candle to the quality and look of an Akrapovic! I then wrote back that I would like to return the pipe since there were too many quality issues that could not be corrected. I said that since I could get the Akrapovic I initially intended on buying for only $100 or so more (albeit the low mount), I was going to go that route for the quality I expected.

Peter said that he would give me a full refund LESS the shipping. That meant that I would be out about $150 in shipping both ways!! I wrote back that I would pay for shipping back to him, but I thought I should be refunded the shipping to me. He then wrote back that he would not refund me AT ALL due to excessive use of the pipe!! I only put MAYBE 5 miles on the pipe but oh well. F' Me. :(

I took a leap of faith as I said in the initial posting and I must sadly say I really regret it.

I will post detailed pictures shortly....

·
2BTHE1
345 Posts
I found this on the original thread...

Wolf said:
I'll also make everyone here another offer - in addition to our usual warranty I'll say that anyone who buys one of our silencers and is not happy with the power can send it back for a full refund.
I'm not sure if he has changed his mind on that now or what? I was also interested in this pipe, so I hope to see the pictures soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bikenut

If you want to be fair then be honest - I said teh hangers would be replaced immediately if damaged by customs and that we would pay for the scuff to be polished out or we would replace it. We pack thes ethings very well but obviously customs take hem out and did not repack as well which is a problem with shipping overseas which we will try to solve...

As for a refund as I said in my email if you have only used it for 5 miles and not all week as you originally said then we will refund it but we cannot cover shipping as you signed to say you has checked it and it was perfect when DHL delivered it so they say any scratches must have happened during the install and not in shipping. If you did not in fact check it we can ask DHL to come out and investigate.

I would say that we ship about 30 parcels a week to the US and so far have only ver had 2 claims for damage by the carrier which is I'm told better than UPS ground in teh US...

·
World Class Lurker
492 Posts
When you do get some performance data, please post. I was interested in getting this same pipe.

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wolf, I agree you did say you would send a new spacer. Woopie, I could get that piece from my local Home Depot.
You Did NOT say you would pay to have the end cap polished or whatever, you only suggested that it could be buffed out and I might try it. When I received the pipe, it was actually wrapped quite well. Except for all the small parts which were just in a brown envelope.

I dont think I ever said I used it for a week, but as I read your response I checked my email and do see that you responded while I was taking pictures and are willing to take the pipe back. I DO think that you should cover the shipping from you to me. It's still going to cost me over $70 US to send it back to you!

When the boxes got here, I admit I did sign for them. Of course I didn't read the paper the delivery guy had me sign! I was signing for acceptance of the shippment and just wanted my pipe. As you know from previous responses, I was very excited to get this system! I didnt even have time to get the boxes open before the delivery truck was around the corner. ~But that neither here nor there at this point. The fact is that you do not want to cover shipping either way and if I send you the pipe back, I will clearly be out $150 with nothing but a lesson to show for it.
~
And that lesson is; buy locally or from a known reputable seller.

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Just keep dream'in
80 Posts
Overall pictures

Bikenut,

can you post a picture of the rest of the pipe especially the seem that you mentioned and dull finish.

I was interested also in this product and after hearing some opinions it is causing a concern. But in the defense of Wolf (aka Peter) I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt to answer fairly the concerns. In Bikenut's defense I would be quit dissappointed in what I have seen as far as pictures. I would expect to get a part that is of high quality from what is trying to be represented.

This will be an interesting thread of topic I know for a few people interested in wolf exhausts.

The stress cracks from thermal expansion I can understand being a M.E. But if it is a known problem, then the design would be corrected, I would think anyway.

Look forward to hearing more on this subject.

JB

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts

That big spacer between the exhaust hanger and the pipe clamp looks like it could be a problem. During rough riding the bike vibrates ALOT and that could be a stress point...

·
Forum Moderator
3,957 Posts
um... dont bitch about the seem.. the akro is worse :fact ... to me that can looks like it's in pretty good shape...

I believe yer being a bit too picky :fact you need to remember.. you didn't buy the top of the line.. and you ordered the product.. and accepted the shipping.. I understand that there are major flaws.. but if you just want to return it.. Wolf has every right to ask for a re-stocking charge.. If you dont want anything to cost you money.. ask for a replacement..

my $0.02

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bikenut, I don't intend to start an argument online but please reread my first email - I said we would replace any damaged parts and maybe the phase is not used in the US but when I said "we will cover it" that means we will pay for it - with references to if you prefered to polish the scratch out

It is very difficult with shipping as very occasionally damage occurs which is why DHL put in big letters right abouve where you sign (in bold type) "I confirm I have checked the package etc etc..

As for the carbon, as I said it really depends on what quality you want - most poeple use 120 degree carbopn and lacquer it for a high gloss finish but it's crap quality and will go brown in time as the lacquer heats up or even in some cases green as the UV rays effect it

We use 450 degree carbon pure pre preg which is a rougher finish but will never cause problems. The only other people in the world who use this are BOS, Renegade and Termignoni...

All carbon has a seem unless you buy teh tape wound stuff but I only know of one company that use this and thier cans turn green with UV so you take your choice

The marks you note are not actually cracks - they are traces of release agent from teh mould and will polish off with any cutting compound - to be fair this should have been done before it left but sometimes they are hard to see but I will ensure our warehouse staff are a bit more diligent in their final clean up before they pack.

Finally, with regard to the clamps they are as I said the best we can get - they are OE on Honda and Yamaha and used by every UK manufacturer, Micron, Blue Flame etc all buy from our supplier. If you want I will happily hand polish one for you to remove any marks and post it over..

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I dont want to argue either. Thats not the point of this.

(tidbit) I paid for a product that is not what I thought it should be. Ya, I am a picky person when I spend my hard earned money.

The bottom line is, Im gonna just choke on this and take it as a lesson, but anyone ordering should keep in mind:

~Shipping to/from U.K. to USA is very expensive.
~If you are dissatisfied, it is alot harder to deal with it.
~OPEN AND INSPECT YOUR PRODUCT WHILE THE DELIVERY GUY STANDS THERE BEFORE YOU SIGN FOR IT.
~I, PERSONALLY, am NOT impressed with the product I got even though it was a 'great deal'.

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KneeDragger77 said:

That big spacer between the exhaust hanger and the pipe clamp looks like it could be a problem. During rough riding the bike vibrates ALOT and that could be a stress point...
I thought the same thing :( I think I'll try to find or make/have made a hanger that comes out to meet the mounting point.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The spacer has certainly never caused a problem in teh last two years since the bike came out - I covered over 10000 miles last year with it on..

Bikenet, let me know if you want me to send the bits discussed above - I am quite happy to do so

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peter,

I dont want anything sent. Im not completely unreasonable and think it's rediculous to send a 25 cent item with $10 shipping. I will find a exhaust hanger that meets my needs/expectations.

What I want is the scratch out of the end cap, the 'resin' marks out of the CF and a decent polish/shine on the metal and CF. If you want to cover the cost of having that done, my paypal email address is: [email protected]

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,771 Posts
Sorry to Hijack this thread but I just wanted to make a suggestion to Wolf..... on my carbon can the manufacturer has the seam run along the bottom..... I didn't even know it was there until reading this post then going to look for it, maybe you should try it this way for asthetics. Then it really is hard to see. Other than that it looks like a nice unit.... a little polish and elbow grease should have it looking :boobies

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Two Brothers has the best Carbon Fiber by far. With their X-Metal and being seemless its damn good stuff. I had one for 3 years and it looked as good as new the whole time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts