Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· throw me a frikkin bone here
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
that is the nastiest bike I have ridden to date
off the bottle(full exh. 1 sprok down in front and pw.prg.)
on it is just a blurr
glad it is not mine I would be in serious trouble

78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nitrous oxide aka(the gas)
just a quick way to get horsepower
at the flip of a switch

· Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts

78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually nitrous is as safe as any other power adder
including motor work.
Iv'e been using it for a long time never blown anything up
it is safer than motor work because you dont use the power full time.

1,889 Posts
I have to disagree,I have been in the automotive repair business for 14 years and I have seen NOS just about melt down engines.If the engine is set up for it there is very little risk but to many people just bolt it on and go. A turbo is much easier on an engine than NOS. Do a comparasion put a turbo on a bike and NOS on another,hit both at full throttle and see which one blows up first,I promise it will be the NOS. I am no way trying to start anything nor am I saying NOS is a bad thing but if you build and engine from ground up for the purpose of making Horsepower it will be the strongest motor you have ever seen. Again I have built engines with 600 HP and they will beat a bottle fed car all day long.There is a reason racers say bottles are for babies. Again I AM NOT flaming anyone and I would love to ride a bike with NOS but just not mine.:D

· zx12s rule the road
3 Posts
NOS

well I have had nos on alot of cars & sport bikes and if you use your smarts you won't have any problems. A lot of people who have no idea make up stories about nos.
If you stick to what the nos company says you be find ,but if you try to get more power because you think your car our bike will handle it. Wrong answer.

By the way the green monster <zx12-r is mine>

· zx12s rule the road
3 Posts
I just sold a 1987 buick grand nat'l the car had 697 hp .
The car ran low 10's in the 1/4. No power adder hurt you if you have smarts. I to work in the automotive business for 18 plus years. But I have been racing that long to. Granted turbo's are the sh-t but I was in 6th gear on my 12r and hit the gas at 60mph by 100 mph the front wheel started to lift. If I was racing a 12r with a turbo he would be in the right now!! The best thing about that is I'd wax his a??

1,889 Posts
What you are saying is true,the point I was trying to get across was to the young ones who always think more is better.There are alot of people who would put NOS on a bike and figure " If I keep the NOS on longer I will go faster"Know what I mean? Like I said I am not trying to start a flame war,just trying to inform the people who don't know better.;) I would love to ride a bike with NOS,I have ridden a turbo Busa and it is way fast but you cant really wheelie cause of the turbo spooling up,let me rephrase....I can't hold a long wheelie because of the turbo.....That is where NOS would be nice because you only have it when you want it:D We are also talking about two different worlds,I like stunts and twisties whereas you like straight line balls out speed,so we can't please everyone;) And Spanktu that grin you got on in the pic would be enough to get you arrested:D

78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
(There is a reason racers say bottles are for babies)
actually the racers who say that are the ones who end up whining when they get spankt by the bottle hehehe

hopefully no offense either twisted
but.......I am not in the repair business
I am in the tuning business. I helped build the 10 sec.
car gsxrklr had and multiple 11 sec mustangs
good friend has a yates headed motor going together
I will be setting up the speed pro unit and a two stage
on it it will have aprox 850 hp on the motor and 500 shot on top of that lookin for low 8's

with the gas and any other power adder you just have to follow the companys reccomendations if you don't know what you are doing

I am starting to like the twisties more than the straights now twisted different rush

1,889 Posts
Oh hell no,no offense taken. I am in the repair end but have built a few HP hogs in my time. As we have all said............Follow the manufactures instructions..........Jeeze I think thats what the whole freekin thing has been about but in a long drawn out word fest :D :D I got a question for the NOS guys,have you ever had a problem with the rear wheel breaking loose when you hit the button? Do you use a button or have it set up to hit at full throttle?

78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
no tire spin it is a slow hit only used in 3rd and up
solenoid is mounted in the back
so it has to go through the length of the
feed line
if I were to mount the solenoid in the front
and only go through say a foot of feed it would
be pretty violent
and I set it up for a micro switch
on the throttle and the horn button

1,889 Posts
Yes sir, I bet it would.Do you know how many kids saw Fast and Furious and now want NOS for their little Honda civic,and oh ya according to the movie you can only hit it once.......aaaarggghhhhhhhhhhh.Good movie but man some of the stuff was :bs

· Registered
15,446 Posts
you guys are on my turf now...hehehe

both opinions about the kit being safe/dangerous for the motors are correct;

you can go to a max of 60hp shot for a stock motor;beyond that you"re asking for trouble!

the rule of thumb is starting low and upgrading after all things are as expected and running well(start with a 25hp shot).

you must run with at least 2 degrees of retard if dragracing,but if used only for roll-ons,stock trigger is just fine.

no kore than 15sec sessions at a time,leave plenty of run-off area even on the highway(power and speed is deceptive).

vist my site in the service section to learn a lot more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.