Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The 02 R1 is very Rated `R`!
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how you support your bike when working on the rear suspension?

I have a rear spooled stand but when you take the rear link out you need a few extra hands for help. And then you have to suspend the rear subframe somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can work on my rear suspension by myself?

I have a lowering link the I need to put on my bike soon.

Thanks

·
If it feels good go faster
17 Posts
its high tech but what i do is take off the rear duck and attach a strap to the sub frame then in a stroke of genius I attach the other end of the strap to my shed rafter and ratchet it up. ha ha works good. :eek:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Rear stand, then a jack under the headers of the exhaust, and put some straps to the ceiling to support it (since it will be pretty tipsy like this) in case it falls.

·
04 R1 `Heaven on Earth`
53 Posts
I just installed a new Ohlins shock this week and what a difference.

1) Put bike on the front and rear stand
2) Take side and lower panels off the bike.
3) Loosen all bolts that need to be taken out.
4) On the right side of the bike is a somewhat flat area below the engine. I used a piece of 2X4 about 12" long, along with a jack to raise the bike ever so carefully. It raised perfectly strait and was stable. I would still use the straps as a safety net.
5) Replace the lowering bolt you have and go in reverse.

Hope this helps.

P.S. It can not be down with the rear stand alone. Learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
37,491 Posts
for the rear swinger, just get some 1 ton car jacks and place them under the footrests.

·
Registered
376 Posts
P.S. It can not be down with the rear stand alone. Learned the hard way.

Yep, swingarm will just come up and up and up right into your undertail. Plus it's almost impossible to get the bolts out of the linkage on bottom anyway because they'll nip from the weight.

I used a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the jack before putting it under mine too. Spread the weight a little and it isn't metal on metal this way.

BTW, the front stand won't be necessary once the jack is used in the middle.

·
The Original One
2,290 Posts
Maybe not the safest way BUT when I changed my rear shock I used the side stand in conjunction with a trolley jack.

Remove bellypan with bike on sidestand, then position the trolleyjack under the headers on the opposite side to the sidestand (as far as safely possible from the sidestand but directly opposite to make sure the bike pivots on the sidestand)

I only had to raise the RHS of the bike about an inch before the back wheel cleared the ground. It is best to have the wheel just touching the ground, if you get it just right there is no weight on the suspension and the bolts come out easily.

Before attempting this I pivoted the bike on the sidestand and I was surprised how far you can lift the bike before it starts to tip over. :eek:

·
My R1 eats yours
685 Posts
I jacked up the rear by placing the jack under the exhaust, then used jacks stands on my pegs to hold up the rear (got to have fixed pegs for this or remove your pegs and put them in upside down so they dont fold).

·
Premium Member
37,491 Posts
I jacked up the rear by placing the jack under the exhaust, then used jacks stands on my pegs to hold up the rear (got to have fixed pegs for this or remove your pegs and put them in upside down so they dont fold).
there's like an inch to play with for the stock foldup pegs...

·
Angry Misogynist
13,391 Posts
Use jack stands under the rear sets. If you have stock rear sets, this won't work, so put a bar through your swing arm bolt and put the jack stands under that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts