Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to wrap my exhaust from the EXUP to the silp-ons with exhaust wrap, but I can't find the metal zipties that people suggest to use anywhere (I've checked Sears, Home Depot, OReilly's, and Autozone). So the question is: Will plastic zip ties withstand the heat? Keep in mind they are going on the outisde of the exhaust wrap, so temps should be lower than being wrapped directly against the exhaust. If worst comes to worst, I can always mount the wrap with the plastic ties now, order the metal ones off the internet, and switch them out next weekend.

Thanks for the input.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Try it. If it doesn't work, just use a little safty wire till you get the metal zip ties. You could also use a hose clamp in the meantime.

·
Registered
527 Posts
you're kidding right?

Surface temps on wrap still get well above ambient, and it will be worse inside the plastics.

On a hot day, in traffic, you going to smell burning plastic and start to leave a trail of wrap behind you...

Get some safety wire and use that. Keep it within 5-6 inches of the next one and you'll be good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Eyespy said:
You could also use a hose clamp in the meantime.
:yesnod :yesnod

Home Depot or any hardware store: 1.00 each. If you want to save time and prevent making a mess just go with metal

Good Luck,

J.

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After thinking about it some more (and reading the responses) I'm just going to use safety wire. So what if it takes me a little longer, at least I'll know that it is going to stay.

Thanks guys.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
I used the black zips on my 05 when I wrapped the y and muffler inlets and they worked fine. No more hot seat either, I used the 1" black(gray) thermotec wrap from jegs.

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LDHR1 said:
I used the black zips on my 05 when I wrapped the y and muffler inlets and they worked fine. No more hot seat either, I used the 1" black(gray) thermotec wrap from jegs.

That is the exhaust wrap I have sitting in my garage, and I also have the exact same zipties as well. Seeing as I didn't get around to putting the wrap on tonight, I might go ahead and try out the zip ties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts