Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, :D This is my first time on this board. And I got a question already. lol. Alight, I'm in the market for an R1, and I was wondering what you guys opinion was on buying a bike that had previously been wrecked. Not a salvage title, just wrecked and fixed.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
If it has been wrecked...which most sportbikes have been or will be..have it checked by an honest,reputable mechanic and if all checks out go with it,oh ya
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
WIPED RIDES

STAY AWAY FROM CRASHED MACHINES!
Unless of course you have no other options. Obviously the best would be to buy new, but sometimes affordability is a major concern. As Twisted so eloquently put it MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BIKE CHECKED. There is nothing worse than getting all revved up about a new bike...and the thing turns out to be a piece of **** that goes down faster than Wynona Ryder on Ricki Lake.

Anyways, check around to find some reputable repair shops. Make it an absolute 100% stipulation that you have the bike examined by someone who is completely qualified. Or if you like, I'm sure Twisted would check it out for you..so long as you pay the bill to FedEx the bike. Am I wrong?? ;)

Make sure the frame is straight and aligned....if its crooked, you're done. And when you bail cause you didn't check, its gonna hurt. Your ass and your pocketbook. :crash

Play safe, and get it checked. But if you can scrape some extra money together, the you cant go wrong with new.
Those are just my thoughts, I could be wrong!

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Send it over I will check it out top to bottom,actually did that on an old GSXR today for a guy but he got lucky the frame was straight but subframe was bent but it is a bolt on so that is easily fixed. Yamaha on the other hand took forever to figure that out but you 2002 guys are set up.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I wouldn't buy one unless I was buying my wrecked machine back from the insurance company. Buying a wrecked and repaired seems worse to me than buying a wreck. Because its been put back together, there is no way for you to know what the damage really was and how well it was repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input everyone, you talked me right out of the wrecked one. :) Back to the drawing board I suppose, I'll find one at a good price eventually. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts