Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just Me.
544 Posts
Hell no. That's a hairline fracture in a wheel. Do you know how fast the torque applied to the sproket from the chain can cause that fracture to actually snap/fully crack?

Save up a quick $300 - $400 and get a new wheel.

Y.E.S., probably not. It doesn't look like a manufacturing defect. Looks more like it arose as the result of a crash or drop. I could be wrong, but that's my initial thought based on what I see.

Be safe out there.

·
954 Posts
I don't disagree with the other comments; they gave good advice. if you never ride hard you can try applying epoxy to it and then balance it again. first you pour liquid epoxy to get it to flow into the crack and then maybe you apply epoxy stick to the outside of the crack.

check if it wobble while you spin rotate wheel on paddock stand. run engine and put in gear and watch tire/wheel for being out of round. if it wobble then replace wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hell no. That's a hairline fracture in a wheel. Do you know how fast the torque applied to the sproket from the chain can cause that fracture to actually snap/fully crack?

Save up a quick $300 - $400 and get a new wheel.

Y.E.S., probably not. It doesn't look like a manufacturing defect. Looks more like it arose as the result of a crash or drop. I could be wrong, but that's my initial thought based on what I see.

Be safe out there.
Where can I find a wheel for $300-400? All the OEM wheels I'm seeing are $1000+

·
Registered
301 Posts
You only need one, they go for about that or maybe a little more in £s in the UK.
Where did you buy the bike, dealer or private?
Regardless you must get another wheel, if it is different colour just get both of them powder coated or just one.
But for your own safety please don't ride it till you got another wheel. You wouldn't stand a chance if that wheel let go.
Have a look on Facebook R1 spares, good luck and stay safe

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
125 Posts
Depends if you want a mag or steel rim, but 800-900 usd is standard. Dealer will be more

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
125 Posts
Is that the right year? Yours is a mag rim it looks like which suggests 15+

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Just Me.
544 Posts

My bad, this is the front.

Called my suppliers, and nope, nothing.

·
Just Me.
544 Posts
I found two; one black, and one blue. My guy will text me a price when he gets back in his office.

Reactions: 1202067 and dog78

·
Just Me.
544 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cleaning off my wheel tonight I noticed I have a crack in my rear wheel. Any chance Y.E.S. warranty will take care of this? Would you replace immediately or keep riding? Thanks!
Sweet Jesus dude... That bike of yours has been nothing short of a rolling nightmare. First the failing battery, then the faulty brake lines, and now the rear wheel? I feel terrible for you.

·
Premium Member
2018 Yam R1S
20 Posts
Cleaning off my wheel tonight I noticed I have a crack in my rear wheel. Any chance Y.E.S. warranty will take care of this? Would you replace immediately or keep riding? Thanks!
Definitely took a shot from something. The risk is ur call, no one here can tell you yea, but there are plenty of nays & I totally agree w them. I bet if the wheel is put on a balancer & use a run out rule it will be either out of round or have a slight wobble?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I would not run that wheel...your life is so much more important. Spend the money and replace it.

Curious on how this happened though. Did you put something in between the wheel trying to remove the front sprocket nut?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet Jesus dude... That bike of yours has been nothing short of a rolling nightmare. First the failing battery, then the faulty brake lines, and now the rear wheel? I feel terrible for you.
No joke! Definitely seems like I got catfished at this point! I'd be a little more understanding of these issues if the bike was older but this thing only has 4000 miles on it. Bike is at the shop now getting everything straightened out. Afraid to see the bill but I'm ready to RIDE and not have to worry about the bike anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts