Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Been busy since posting this and didn't realize I'd got so many responses! Thank you all very much for your time. I took the bike to the closest Yamaha shop and they are working on it. Rear wheel will be replaced. I've been having rear brake issues as well, not sure what they're doing to address that yet. To address the questions above.... this is a 2018 R1 with 4k miles on it. I'm in Oklahoma, USA. I've only had the bike for about a month. And it's been raining almost daily here so I've barely put any miles on it. There is zero chance I cracked the wheel so I have no idea how it happened. Seems at this point that I purchased someone else's problem they couldn't afford to fix. I bought it from a private seller.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is why if I ever get a newer model Yamaha R1, im buying it brand new. Sorry you had to go through this. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update (in case anyone is interested)

The shop got the rear brakes fixed and said it was just a bleeding issue. The rear wheel replacement including a new tire is going to cost $2020. Unfortunately, the only wheel available is in Japan and the shop is saying it will be early to mid August before they will have it. Going to be a long couple of months! 🤬

·
Just Me.
544 Posts
Just get a pre-owned one in mint condition with no damage. Sh!t, my spare set of wheels for my track bike were pre-owned in great condition. Not a single problem out of them. Check for balance, bends, cracks, paint chips, and straightness/runout upon arrival, and if all's good, safe riding.

Reactions: Alwrath and 1202067

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been busy since posting this and didn't realize I'd got so many responses! Thank you all very much for your time. I took the bike to the closest Yamaha shop and they are working on it. Rear wheel will be replaced. I've been having rear brake issues as well, not sure what they're doing to address that yet. To address the questions above.... this is a 2018 R1 with 4k miles on it. I'm in Oklahoma, USA. I've only had the bike for about a month. And it's been raining almost daily here so I've barely put any miles on it. There is zero chance I cracked the wheel so I have no idea how it happened. Seems at this point that I purchased someone else's problem they couldn't afford to fix. I bought it from a private seller.
I would buy an aftermarket wheel performance machine or something like that. Before I would pay that much for a new one if I was going to pay that much for a new one I would find a good used one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would buy an aftermarket wheel performance machine or something like that. Before I would pay that much for a new one if I was going to pay that much for a new one I would find a good used one.
And no I would not keep riding with that wheel. If you go on i a a i insurance auction online go to advanced search and select motorcycle then we'll ask for type you put our one down at the bottom. Then you go to the year so you put 2015 to 2021 and you press search and all the other ones for those years that are wrecked in the United States will pop up take a look at some of those bikes. It'll make you think about being careful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And no I would not keep riding with that wheel. If you go on i a a i insurance auction online go to advanced search and select motorcycle then we'll ask for type you put our one down at the bottom. Then you go to the year so you put 2015 to 2021 and you press search and all the other ones for those years that are wrecked in the United States will pop up take a look at some of those bikes. It'll make you think about being careful.
I got to say I voice type all my replies and post and if I don't read them and talk slow sometimes rights what it wants to down and not what I say. And if I don't go over and reread it and edit it sometimes it sounds a little crazy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts