Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dilema, my wife and I are trying to buy a place, but in order to keep the monthly payment low we need a down payment. My wifes parents offered to give us the down payment, but want me to sell my motorcycle in order to get the money..

They HATE that I ride on the track and are holding the down-payment like a carrot in front of me...

They say I need to make a sacrifice and get rid of my toys. This upset me so bad I couldnt speak. My bike is my life. My wife knows, but her parents dont understand why the bike is important.

My wife is pissed now, saying Im selfish because I said "NO"....

Any advice?? :no

·
This is all you'll see...
370 Posts
Hey my wife and I bought our house and close december 7th and my bike is still mine. I say screw em and find a new construction house that will give you enough rebates to cover the down payment!! But hurry because they will no longer be able to do that after March. Good luck!

·
No Rotor, No Motor
1,167 Posts
Are you willing to sacrifice your days at the track? What are YOUR priorities? Which is more important to you? Will you be able to live without that release you get at the track? Will you constantly be itching to go back? Me personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the bike. I am a single guy so I don't know exactly what you're going through, but I couldn't see selling the bike. Make your wife realize how important it is and ask her to sell something important to her (like shoes :2bitchsla or whatever she loves.) It's a tough decision, however, it is not right for them to dangle that in front of you and they should be made aware of that.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Her parents are pricks. There theory is correct, but actions are skewed.

THe idea of bettering oneself and purchasing a house is a great one...sometimes certain sacrifices are made to obtain that goal. Personally, I'd sell the bike and whatever is necessary to get that downpayment. Dont' use the parents. When the downpayment is paid and you have built up enough cash shortly after to buy another track bitch...do it. The rule of the parents won't have any say over you and you can tell them to **** off.

That or have one of your wife's toys sold along with yours. Toys are just that...toys...and if a sacrifice is to be made...it should be made on both sides.

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
Can you do without the bike for a little while ?

Buy the house, make this so called sacrifice and buy a new(or used) bike in 6 months or so.

I'm single too and honestly could see myself in your delima

·
Team Road Rashers
433 Posts
Dilema, my wife and I are trying to buy a place, but in order to keep the monthly payment low we need a down payment. My wifes parents offered to give us the down payment, but want me to sell my motorcycle in order to get the money..
Would they really give you the money if you didn't have the bike in the first place?

Is this just a motive to make you get rid of the bike?

It's great to have family help you out but in the end it's YOU that needs to be able to provide for your family. If you can't afford a house on your own, you just might not be ready for it.

If you really want the house YOU would get rid of the bike with out question. Don't make someone else determine your future buy blackmailing you.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My father-in-law was never passionate about anything in his life. I dont want to role over and be a paycheck distributer and live a couch life. My wife understands how important the bike is (not really) she trys, but her parents dont understand at all. I am selling all my NW airline reward miles 160K. My tent trailer, my HDTV I am making sacrafices, just not the bike. I have so much time and money into it.

I would resent my father inlaw for life if he forced me to sell it for the down.

We can get into a smaller place and not need the help from her parents, but my wife (and I) want the larger place.....

This is ALL just a ploy for me to stop riding at the track. So upseting.

·
Broke OUTTA Jail
5,069 Posts
I can see where they might be coming from...maybe there intention is for your safety and making sure your there to be of support down the road for there daughter.

On the other hand, this is a hobby of yours and I think its not right to ask someone to give up a hobby. We all need to have hobbies in our lives or we wouldn't be getting the full meaning of life IMO.

Is it ONLY a track bike or do you take it out on the street as well? If it is only a track bike then let them know that track days are important to you and you don't take this bike on the street. If safety is there reasoning then maybe this will help as most deaths are def not from track accidents vs street riding.

Def a tough situation but ultimatley your family needs to come first and if it has to go in order for you both to get a house then that is what needs to be done. Like others have said, you can alwasy get another bike down the road but for now, do the right thing by them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That or have one of your wife's toys sold along with yours. Toys are just that...toys...and if a sacrifice is to be made...it should be made on both sides.

:iamwithst

Perhaps your wife should select two of her favorite pairs of shoes and sell the rest, or start using a cheaper brand of makeup, or start buying her clothes at Good-Will, etc. Why are you the one who has to make the sacrifices.

If it were simply a matter of selling your bike because it would be enough for the down payment, or selling the bike and a few of your wifes things, that would be one thing, but if you still need to borrow from her parents, you should wait. There's a reason the mortgage industry is in such a mess, because the lenders all fudged on the down payments.

·
Stay Fly 3-6Mafia
1,402 Posts
It's being selfish in their part not yours. If they want to offer the loan as a favor then there should be no trade off rather just coming to terms on how you will pay them back later down the line. Your hobby has nothing to do with the loan itself. I can see if they are hinting that your hobby is a bit on the expensive side but maybe coming to terms on how much you spend can be negotiated rather then making you quit.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't sell the bike and cut back in other places, so that you could save up the money to make the down payment yourself. I would think that your wife should understand what it means to you and notice all the other things your giving up. What does your wife lose/sacrifice in this deal?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am selling all my NW airline reward miles 160K. My tent trailer, my HDTV I am making sacrafices, just not the bike. I have so much time and money into it.

I would resent my father inlaw for life if he forced me to sell it for the down.

We can get into a smaller place and not need the help from her parents, but my wife (and I) want the larger place.....

This is ALL just a ploy for me to stop riding at the track. So upseting.

And what's your wife giving up? I'd tell her you're getting the smaller house and you're keeping the bike, and if she doesn't like it, she'll have to get a second job so you can afford the bigger one.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Would they really give you the money if you didn't have the bike in the first place?

Is this just a motive to make you get rid of the bike?

It's great to have family help you out but in the end it's YOU that needs to be able to provide for your family. If you can't afford a house on your own, you just might not be ready for it.

If you really want the house YOU would get rid of the bike with out question. Don't make someone else determine your future buy blackmailing you.
A lot of people do not have the money for an initial down payment. Most of the people I know have to borrow 10 or so G's from their parents or some lender of sorts. It means nothing that a young person does not have that kind of cash laying around. I'm lucky and I do happen to have that kind of cash....but I wouldn't' immediately drop all of it on a down payment ot a house without some other sort of back plan...it would wipe my free hand cash out and that's not something most are willing to do. Taking a low interest loan from a parent is a great way to buy a home and build equity.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is JUST a track bike, I sold the street plastics. My wife doesnt have any hobbies besides reading books and collecting antique glass. She is selling all her books, selling her antique glass.

Like I said, I can get into a smaller place without her parents help, but we are approved for a larger place and my wife wants to get in there.

I said, "forget it (no question), we will get into a smaller place without help". My wife started crying and was upset that I wouldnt get rid of the bike.

The thing is, I know it is going to be difficult in the future having a monthly mortgage instead of cheaper rent payments. My 05 is close to being paid off and I have EVERYTHING on the bike that I have always wanted, Ohlins, GPR, Graves pipes, Rearsets, etc... I will never be able to purchase all those items again after I am paying a mortgage, it will be an arguement waiting to happen every time I wanted to buy something for the bike.

I dont care about riding on the street, its dangerous. This just sucks, I just want to say "forget it" and just get the smaller place and tell her parents, "thanks, but no thanks." "Im going to the track!"

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
And what's your wife giving up? I'd tell her you're getting the smaller house and you're keeping the bike, and if she doesn't like it, she'll have to get a second job so you can afford the bigger one.
Houses are also an investment...smaller homes as a starter house will sell easier to other people liek yourselves. Move into the smaller one, get some money into it (paid down) and sell it in two/three years. Now you have cash for a downpayment on a nicer house.

Absolutely no reason to move into something that is bigger just to have it....as a first house.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
tough call man...tough call. personally i would get the smaller place and call it a day. It would almost look like you will do anything her parents ask, if enough money is involved. Seems more like a moral decision instead of a physical one.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Houses are also an investment...smaller homes as a starter house will sell easier to other people liek yourselves. Move into the smaller one, get some money into it (paid down) and sell it in two/three years. Now you have cash for a downpayment on a nicer house.

Absolutely no reason to move into something that is bigger just to have it....as a first house.

:iamwithst

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
I'd also chime in that personally (for me only) I pride myself in being able to do something on my own. If you can afford the smaller place with the money you have by selling the items you already mentioned, it would be a higher pride issue for me. You did it...didn't have to ask anyone for anything and you still have at least one thing that will make you happy on the occasion as a break away from normal life.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.