Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone here ever been charged with Wreckless driving and Exhibition of speed? What are the potential outcomes of this. I hear Jailtime is possible, loss of license, alot of money...

Any insight for a friend in need would be appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
I just recently got a wreckless driving, unreadable license plate and failure to obey.

The failure to obey was reduced to parking on pavement and the wreckless driving was reduced to failure to obey. I just plead guilty to the unreadable license plate as it's a non-moving violation.

Wreckless driving in NY is a misdeamnor and carrys 8 pts on your license.

I got out of this whole thing for a grand and 2 points on my license.

Which sucks - the only thing I was guilty of is the failure to obey a traffic device (ran a redlight because I was approached by an unidentifed person). He got my license plate and gave me a ticket for it being unreadable? :lol

It was an off - duty cop. He was cutting us off on the freeway and tailing. Said he saw me do a wheelie and identified himself as a cop. Complaint is pending with the state.

·
Semper Fi
540 Posts
Back in 1994 I was clocked at 110 in a 55 mph road in town(94 Mustang GT)...I was fined $800, 30 days jail time suspended and community service hours. I also received two years probation on my driving record. I later went back and asked the judge if I could work off the fine in community service hours so I did not have to pay the fine. I was stone sober, but with the fine they gave me you would have thought I was drinking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well if you were put down for "wreckless driving" what degree is it in? I was told that if I wanted to be put for wreckless that i'd go to jail at that point. These things might vary state to state. I'd get a lawyer. Exhibition of speed I've been told by a cop before when i did a jack rabbit start right when the light turned green on my old car. I redlined it and just chiped to the speed limit. they didn't really like that. exhibition of speed wasn't too bad that was more like a speeding ticket. wreckless is really bad though. you really should consider a lawyer. they can usually get you out of these things and help you keep your license.

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
Been there done that, get a lawyer. It will most likely save you more than the cost of the lawyer in fines and maybe save your license. Don't fock around, get a lawyer.

·
Wanta c if I got the minerals?
1,226 Posts
I just got nailed on july 10 for dangerous driving, evading police,no registration(expired) etc.....

I was chase for over 30 minutes and finally caught at a roadblock. They claim that they had me clock at 287km/hr which is pretty much bullsh#t cause it was on a curvey highway at night!

They had municipal and provincal helicopters tailing me and curisers that werent even there.

I pulled in nice and slow to the roadblock and asked what the problem was? "Doing a little speeding tonight, son" said the officer. "No sir, passed a few cars along the way but in general I was pretty much was obeying the limit. What seems to be the problem?" I replied. I waited for about 20min to the local cops showed up and arrested me. I said nothing the whole way back to the city and was released on promise to appear.

I want to the prelimenary hearing and set a court date, only to find out that they justice system and the local police had already decided to make my and example to the rest of the bikers running from police.

I went to my lawyer and explain my situation and he pretty much asked how much I had to spend to stay out of jail. Dissapointed I had not much flow at the time with insurence and car payments due,so I had to sell the bike for cheap. In the end I am probably looking at jail time. In an incident related a 40 year old charged with dangerous driving just got 4 years and he was a family man with kids and a good job. Its not looking good, Mexico here I come.:bash

My advice, if there is a bird in the sky, pull the **** over or else they are going to nail your ass. Or head downtown to the highrises and look for underground parkade.

Pay the lawyer but make sure he busts his ass.

·
Wanta c if I got the minerals?
1,226 Posts
I wish:(

They have a real hard on for anyone who rides two wheels

Which is complete:bs

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Just spend the $$ for a good lawyer.... I've known lots of people who have had those type of charges reduced to minor offenses...

- BA

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
bikenut said:
Hey, has anyone here ever been charged with Wreckless driving and Exhibition of speed? What are the potential outcomes of this. I hear Jailtime is possible, loss of license, alot of money...

Any insight for a friend in need would be appreciated :)
A friend of mine got nailed in CULPEPPER VA. last month.. They hit him up for reckless. 98 in a 50..

2 days in jail..-- or-- 100 hours community service..
800 dollar fine.. He had a lawyer..:thumbup

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
silversurferR1 said:
I just got nailed on july 10 for dangerous driving, evading police,no registration(expired) etc.....

I was chase for over 30 minutes and finally caught at a roadblock. They claim that they had me clock at 287km/hr which is pretty much bullsh#t cause it was on a curvey highway at night!

They had municipal and provincal helicopters tailing me and curisers that werent even there.

I pulled in nice and slow to the roadblock and asked what the problem was? "Doing a little speeding tonight, son" said the officer. "No sir, passed a few cars along the way but in general I was pretty much was obeying the limit. What seems to be the problem?" I replied. I waited for about 20min to the local cops showed up and arrested me. I said nothing the whole way back to the city and was released on promise to appear.

I want to the prelimenary hearing and set a court date, only to find out that they justice system and the local police had already decided to make my and example to the rest of the bikers running from police.

I went to my lawyer and explain my situation and he pretty much asked how much I had to spend to stay out of jail. Dissapointed I had not much flow at the time with insurence and car payments due,so I had to sell the bike for cheap. In the end I am probably looking at jail time. In an incident related a 40 year old charged with dangerous driving just got 4 years and he was a family man with kids and a good job. Its not looking good, Mexico here I come.:bash

My advice, if there is a bird in the sky, pull the **** over or else they are going to nail your ass. Or head downtown to the highrises and look for underground parkade.

Pay the lawyer but make sure he busts his ass.

Dude....I hope your a BS'ing.....

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the story is:

They said a cop saw either myself or a friend do a wheelie. He couldnt determine which one of us it was between a blue gix1K or my silver R1. He then called in the helicopter who followed us for some distance without us knowing. The copter said they saw ME pull a wheelie through an interstection on a green light! :bs

I cant even pull a frickin wheelie from a stop!! I can barely wheelie from a roll in second gear cuz 1st scares the crap out of me! So HOW the hell was I seen doing frickin wheelies!!?

So thats where the Exhibition comes from...

They say the copter watched us get on the freeway and weeve in and out of cars and paced us at 110 knots. They wrote us up for 115mph plus. The reality is that we got on the freeway, immediately went over to the carpool lane and probably did exceed the speed limit, but I dont know about 115. We were really just cruising along since we were bummed that bikenight was kinda dead.

The officer later said, 'you guys were going 100!' then later he said '110' then he wrote the ticket for 115 :dunno

He said the reason he had us arrested instead of just giving the ticket was because of the denial... :(

Im soooo bummed.
Anyone wanna buy a 03' R1 with 800 miles on it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
alot of people just ask for some type of papers on the radar guns and how accurate they can be and if they dont those papers then u get away and over half the time people do that they dont have the papers and get away with it.

some guy got out of like 6 tickets that way.

and u get pulled for running a stop sign just that night go pulled it out the gruond and take a pic of it. you'll get away with that my dad's friend did it in highschool.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
Get some kind of attorney! I was riding with my friend in his 240sx. He did a burn out at the stop light, took off, pulled into a parkinglot (basically empty) grabed the Ebrake and power slid it 180 into a parking spot (I was impressed). Cops swarmed from both directions. Gave him wreckless and exibition.
He got a lawyer, the judge didnt even look at his driving record and knocked it all down to unattentive driving. His lawyer+court+unattentive was a lesser fine than the Wreckless+exibition.

·
http://jiggyjigg.com/ipb
452 Posts
Get a lawyer. Dress in a tie and suit if you got. *~ Dont say a fu**king word unless asked. Be polite and respectful. Best of Luck believe Me I feel your pain ~

~R~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts