Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,562 Posts
I don't think "Ram, Harris or any the most respectable companies did any SS for ur model.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think "Ram, Harris or any the most respectable companies did any SS for ur model.
I talked to Gregg and he said he could make one but that I needed to discuss it with him at the end of the summer bc he's got so much stuff lined up.

Ram doesn't answer their email.

I found a guy who can make one out of an MV Augusta FV swingarm but he said I would either have to get a side-exit exhaust or rework my exhaust to go around the swingarm. What would that do to my full termi exhaust if I reworked it like that?

· Registered
515 Posts
I talked to Gregg and he said he could make one but that I needed to discuss it with him at the end of the summer bc he's got so much stuff lined up.

Ram doesn't answer their email.

I found a guy who can make one out of an MV Augusta FV swingarm but he said I would either have to get a side-exit exhaust or rework my exhaust to go around the swingarm. What would that do to my full termi exhaust if I reworked it like that?
Go with Greggs, he's building my bike right now, WELL worth it, you will NOT be disappointed. I'm not sure about the other companies but I will tell you this, his service, attention to detail, support, professionalism and communication are OUTSTANDING!!!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with Greggs, he's building my bike right now, WELL worth it, you will NOT be disappointed. I'm not sure about the other companies but I will tell you this, his service, attention to detail, support, professionalism and communication are OUTSTANDING!!!
I'll have to see how much he asks for. He said normally they were $5000 which, is.. insane. One part, even if it's hand made shouldn't be more than the whole bike was. He said at the end of the summer we could discuss the price so I'm hoping he will offer something more reasonable. For $5000 "if I had it" I would probably sell the R1, and go buy a panigale or 1098 with a sssa already on it.

· R1 Forum Star
16,242 Posts
I'll have to see how much he asks for. He said normally they were $5000 which, is.. insane. One part, even if it's hand made shouldn't be more than the whole bike was. He said at the end of the summer we could discuss the price so I'm hoping he will offer something more reasonable. For $5000 "if I had it" I would probably sell the R1, and go buy a panigale or 1098 with a sssa already on it.
What do you think a custom sssa should cost?

8,562 Posts
Do that. :fact

just to give you an idea how much it cost things made by hand...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261643515722?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you really like the Yamaha R1's get urself the 00-01 or the 02-03 model and the Harris SS. Some member her has it for sale.
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437602

The 5JJ IMO is the best model yet made until the damn R1M... Love the M.

· Registered
515 Posts
Like others have said, it's all hand built and fabbed specifically for YOUR application, if you use OEM Ducati wheels and components I believe it can be done less than $5k using an OEM Ducati drive and just have Gregg fab the arm...he can literally build whatever you can think of as he designs the components with CAD/solidworks...custom sprockets/520 setup, whatever you want..ALL HAND BUILT IN THE USA...nothing is off of the shelf...if you can afford the Pani go with it, be sure to browse around and keep in mind the maintenance costs associated with owning an Italian bike, it's not THAT bad but something to be aware of, if you're just going for aesthetics and want something unique I say build a custom and make it your own....

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
metmachex out of the UK looks better than Gregg's.
I talked to them today, $1500 made specifically for my bike if I buy my own brake calipers and stuff. That's not too bad and that's without me trying to negotiate. I can buy everything I need and sell my swingarm and calipers etc. and get that money back. so basically $1200

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What do you think a custom sssa should cost?
About $1000. MetMachex said they would do it for $1500.

Once I finish nursing school I may be more open to investing $$$ in my bike, but I still won't spend $5K on a swingarm. Once I start making money I really want to invest into experiences more than material things. I've blown a lot of money on travel, but I don't regret it at all, as much of a fuㄷkup as I am I'm happy that I got to travel and that I got to learn 2 languages. It's probably the one thing in my life that I can be proud of. I'm planning on buying a small aircraft and traveling/exploring with my wife, that's my dream. Either a trike or a paramotor, maybe both.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Now that I see this picture it looks kind of weird. Maybe it's just the chrome. I don't think I'll ever understand why people think chrome is cool.

Does Gregg not make chain guards? It would really be nice to have the piece of mind of knowing that my leg won't get ripped off if a chain breaks. Wheel huggers are nice too.

8,562 Posts

· Registered
515 Posts
^^^ I was going to say that BUT....just because it's cost $4-$5k doesn't necessarily mean that it's better because it's more expensive, once thing that I like about Gregg is that if I have problem I can pick up a phone and get it taken care of in a timely manner rather that having to send something overseas...good luck with whatever direction you choose, Keep us posted! I'd like to see how it turns out

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.