Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yamaha Blue, tried and true!
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's, I am new to the forum and posting on a Sidekick/portable device (SLOW), so please bear w/me. I need the rubber damper/isolator that mounts under the upper fairing, directly below the headlights. This piece keeps the upper from rubbing/rattling w/the the mid fairings, and is one solid rubber piece w/two tabs/holes in it that the plastic push pins go through to attatch the mid fairings to the upper. My dealer lost/forgot to re-install this piece when my bike was in to rebuild the engine (under warranty, Thank Christ!) among other things, and of course denies this. This part is not available separately from the upper, which they happily want to poke me for. Anyone w/a new or used upper or an extra one that wants to part w/this piece? I would sure appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!!

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rubber isolator/damper

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a pic of it, unfortunately the dealer lost it when they put my bike back together. The best description that I can give you is, that it is a molded rubber damper (that's what Yamaha calls it) that is rectangular in shape with two ears/tabs with holes in them that allow for the two plastic push pins to go through the mid fairings and attatch to the upper fairing directly under and in between the headlights. This part is molded just like the shape of the pocket under the nose of the upper fairing where the mids attatch to the upper. It is black rubber and ther is only one of them, directly located under and just behind the nose of the upper faining. This damper keeps the mids from rubbing/rattling against the upper fairing. I woul be willing to pay $25 bucks for the friggin' thing, as my only other alternative woul be to purchase a new upper from my incompetent dealer. Thanks.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
04-06 R1 upper cowling rubber damper/isolator

Hi Guy's, someone out there must surely know what this part that I'm looking for is. If you took your upper fairing off and turned it upside down, looking directly at the underside of it, you would see this rubber damper/isolator (as Yamaha calls it) located in the center of the nose, right between where the headlight cut outs are located. This piece keeps the mid cowlings from rubbing/rattling against the upper cowling and is fitted into the molded pocket of the upper cowling and held in by the two plastic push pins that keep the mids attatched to the upper. Sorry for the long posts, but I can't possibly describe this part with any greater detail. This rubber damper/isolator is part of the upper cowling and does not have it's own part number, and unfortunately is not sold separately. One of you guy's must have surely replace your upper cowling, and have an extra one for sale. Please feel free to ask for anymore info. Thanks,

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upper cowling rubber damper/isolator

Hi Vance, thanks for the reply. If you have three uppers, turn one upside down, then you will see the two holes on the underside which are there for the mid cowlings to attatch, with two plastic push pin/rivets to the upper. This molded rubber damper/isolator (as Yamaha calls it) would go in there between the two to stop the mids from rubbing/rattling against the upper. The inner trim behind the mids attatches to this point on the upper cowling, it is there, just difficult to see with the bike together. My incompetent dealer lost it while my bike was in for warranty work, and of course denies this. I haven't found a part number for this damper/isolator. My dealer has told me that It's only available w/the upper cowling, as an assembly. I have never seen an upper for sale with this piece attatched, so I know that they're full of [email protected]#$! They just want to sell me something and don't care if it's correct or not. Retaliation for the ass chewing that they got when my bike threw a rod (at high speed) w/only 1000 plus miles on it, and almost spit me off. I won't even get into all the mistakes that they made after rebuilding the engine and reassembling the bike. So, please, if you get a chance take a peek under an assembled bike, look closely and you'll see it right ther under and in between the headlights. Those two plastic push pin/rivets go right through the two holes/tabs on it to hold it in place. Thanks again,

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rubber damper/isolator

Hi Vance, thanks for the effort, I truly appreciate it. If you can locate/acquire this part for me, I'll send you $$$$$ whatever you need. Last PM replied to, let me know how you make out with your dealer. Thanks again,

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rubber damper/isolator

Hey Vance, any luck with your dealer regarding this part? Anybody else with a spare or info as how to locate a new one? Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays to all !!! May all your R1 wishes come true !!!

·
Turn #8 Got Me
1,034 Posts
Just got off the phone with him and he doesn't have anything left over at the shop. He said he would check to see if the 07's on the floor have the piece and if so, he will try to snag one or call Yami. Never seen such a problem over one small part.:crash

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
04-06 R1 rubber damper/isolator

Hi Vance, thanks for the reply. This part on the 07 appears to be different. I haven't had an 07 apart yet, but from looking at an assembled bike, this piece looks different, as one would expect, different bodywork etc.. Hopefully your guy can snag one, or atleast the proper part number, so I can order it. You're right, such a ridiculous pain in the @## to get such a small, cheap rubber piece. Thanks again for the effort, and keep me posted, please.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
04-06 upper fairing

I'd like to finally put an end to this post and thank everyone who responded and tried to help. It turns out that there was no rubber damper missing, as my dealer repeatedly told me. The Tech that worked on the bike installed the wrong plastic rivet/push pins upon reassembly. I brought the bike in for the TPS recall and pointed out a few things wrong to the service manager that were done when the bike was previously at their shop. He realized that I knew what I was talking about and agreed to hear me out and lok closely at the bike with me. I convinced him to take a look at another 04-06 R1 at the shop to see what I was complaining about. when we inspected an 06 I realized that those plastic rivets were different. He agreed that the last Tech must have screwed up and installed the wrong parts. After arguing with them for over a year and a half, this issue is finally resolved. I would like to give a public Thank You to Jay Hurley and John Brown from the Service Department and to James and Nick from the Sales Department, all from Brockton Cycle Center in Brockton, MA. for finally rectifying this issue and the sweet deal on the 08 TTR50e for my son's third birthday. Thanks again Guy's, I told you that I'd be back to purchase future motorcycles if the service was right, and I meant it! Job well done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.