Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Learning...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 125cc sportbike. My son (soon turning 13) wants to try out for the KTM/Red Bull 125cc racing they are running for 13-16 year olds, so I need a bike for him to practice on (clearly not going to be my R1). Would prefer something street-legal if at all possible.
I know that there is the RSR Phoenix (a scaled-down CBR-1000) and the Metrakit 125cc bikes, all of which claim to be street legal.
Anyone have something like this or have any suggestions for me?
Looking to buy anywhere between now and next spring.
Thanks.

·
NOVICE
1,080 Posts
itll be tough to find one i think, ive looked before with no luck. you could always import the new 2008 R125 from yamaha:)

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
Kawi still makes the Ninja 250R. I'm sure there are some cheap used ones out there that wouldn't mind getting dropped a few times by a novice rider. Even if there aren't they only cost about $3500 new.

It only make 21 lbs of torque which is on par with the highend 125s so its probably not to much bike for your son. The downside being you couldn't compete in that race series you mention.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=263&content=specifications

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.