Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my R1 has been sitting for 6 weeks. I unplugged the battery, because I knew it would be sitting for a while. I hooked up the battery, throw it in neutral, pull the choke, and start thumbing the starter button. It didn't want to fire after three or four tries... damnit. So I turned the key off and waited about 5 minutes.

I got back on it and this time when I let go of the starter, it DIDN'T STOP! I turned the ignition off, and pulled the key out, I turned it back on it, and kept pressing the button... I did everything.

The ****ing starter just kept going. I turned the headlights to high beams hoping that would help to burn the battery out faster so my starter didn't burn up... and I quickly tried to pull off the seat. By the time I got the seat of though, the starter was just barely turning the engine like one time a second, and my lights were dim. I pulled the power to the bike and of course it arched when I pulled the cable off the battery terminal.

I AM REALLY CONFUSED. Has this ever happened to anybody before? What could have caused this? I hope I didn't fry my starter.

All of the wires were VERY hot and so was the battery. I am going to let everything cool down tonight and then I am going to charge the battery back up tomorrow and see if the damn starter is still trying to turn over. Anyone ever heard of something like this? I am baffled!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it the starter relay perhaps? I don't understand why it would work and then just suddenly fail though. I haven't looked at it yet, but is this a special order part from the dealer or is it is normal relay I can get from a autoparts store to see if that is it?

·
Plant a house and build a tree
643 Posts
whacky dude.. See if you can find the lead wires going to the starter and disconnect them. In a clutch, assuming your starter button is really stuck, just touch them to start and leave them disconnected - just don't stall it in traffic. :/

·
I've eaten my R1
1,233 Posts
Don't know if R1 starters are the same as a cars, but an automobile starter solenoid can actually stick in the "engaged" position. Once that happens, I would assume that you've got a direct connection from the battery to the starter....it's only stoppin' when the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the engine anymore.

That doesn't really help too much, but if I was in your shoes, I'd charge the battery until it was good and strong. Possibly replace it. Then, if the starter works correctly (test it quite a few times), you're good to go. If the starter hangs, or doesn't enage, then head down to the local breaker/salvage yard and pick up a new [used] one.

Just my $.02.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
theMonk said:
Don't know if R1 starters are the same as a cars, but an automobile starter solenoid can actually stick in the "engaged" position. Once that happens, I would assume that you've got a direct connection from the battery to the starter....it's only stoppin' when the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the engine anymore.

That doesn't really help too much, but if I was in your shoes, I'd charge the battery until it was good and strong. Possibly replace it. Then, if the starter works correctly (test it quite a few times), you're good to go. If the starter hangs, or doesn't enage, then head down to the local breaker/salvage yard and pick up a new [used] one.

Just my $.02.
I agree with theMonk, but you may also check to see if there is any Gunk in your thumb button, it is possible that it is stuck down, even if the trigger part pops back toward you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. Yeah, I thought about those possibilities. I am going to charge the battery, test the starter switch, and test the starter relay.

After I get all of those running, I will hope that the starter did not fry after such an extended period of running. I could definitely smell some HOT electronics!!! Anybody know how resilient the starters are on these things? I doubt they are.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
PS - I would leave the positive plug to the batt VERY accessable in case it happens again, so you can quickly disconnect if it stays locked.

If it is under warrenty, i would just take it in and have it looked at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts