Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cray mofo
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning, laying in bed watching television with the DVR paused while my wife watches Facebook videos on the laptop. She says "OK that's it, watch your show."

I lean over and look at the TV thinking "I should un-pause this show now...but I can't. I can't move." I feel like I'm sleeping but I'm wide awake. Michele says I leaned over and kissed her then just layed there. She looked at me and saw my face droop. She jumped up on my chest and grabbed my face saying things I can't understand (works in a local ER as a tech) and immediately called 911.

The volunteer medic crew assess then transports me (Michele says she almost giggled when they asked me to put my arms in front of me and put I put up my dukes like I was gonna punch them!) to the ER where they immediately gave me TPA (clot busting drug vital in stroke treatment) and called for the bird. 20 minutes later I am Washington Hospital Center getting wheeled onto the table so the docs can find and remove the clot. 18 minutes later they got it. I'm told the doc was dancing cuz he got it out so fast, before even all the tools were layed out!

Thursday was very rough for me. Couldn't talk right, mixed up words, myriad of docs asking me to say this and that, looking and pictures and not able to say what I was seeing...I knew what I saw, just couldn't say it. In ICU Thursday into Friday and everytime I woke up and starting repeating the names of my family that were with me in the initial hospital (in the first ER everyone was "Joe Murphy...me, my wife, my kids...everyone!) So I wake trying to say "Michele, Kristen, Karissa, Anthony, etc and then remembering from my EMT class the Cincinatti Stroke Scale saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Stroke patients will mix up or completely skip some of those words. Thursday, I was ****ing that up royally. Friday morning? Nailed it!

So here it is Sunday in a normal room waiting for a Monday release. My speech is much better, I'd say 95%. I still have a bit of decreased sensation on my right side as far as tingling but I'm walking with no issues. I'll be on blood thinners for a month because the site of the clot showed a small dissection in my carotid artery. Basically the lining of the artery has sort of de-laminated a bit. But all in all I'm good. Funny thing tho...the docs talk about what may have caused it (neck trauma, lifting weights or even just spontaneous) and how in the future I will have to be careful and what's my first thought? I hope I can still do trackdays!!!

I got real lucky. Lucky my wife is in the biz and knew what was going on. Lucky the ER at Calvert Memorial got me on TPA so fast and shipped me out of there to WHC. Lucky the stroke team doc got my clot out so fast. Anyone one of the steps out of wack and I could've have been royally screwed...or dead. Every day is a gift, people...seriously.

Hopefully everything works out great in the future and I'll be back ripping it up on track.

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
holy hell man. glad your improving and almost back to 100%. take it easy no driving car or bike for awhile until you're fully 100%

·
Forza Italia!
608 Posts
I got real lucky. Lucky my wife is in the biz and knew what was going on. Lucky the ER at Calvert Memorial got me on TPA so fast and shipped me out of there to WHC. Lucky the stroke team doc got my clot out so fast. Anyone one of the steps out of wack and I could've have been royally screwed...or dead. Every day is a gift, people...seriously.

Hopefully everything works out great in the future and I'll be back ripping it up on track.
Wow madman, I'm glad you are alright. I have a few family members who didnt fare as well as you. Get well our thoughts are with you and your family!

·
Banned
325 Posts
Holy crap!

Glad your condition stabilized!

/kudos to the misses on remaining calm and acting decisively. I know it's her job, but a loved one in mortal distress is a loved one in mortal distress.

Hope you make a full recovery so you can still do the things you love.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
Damn, glad to hear you're doing better and hope you recover well from it. Reading that bring back memories of when I had mine.

·
My R1 eats M1.
457 Posts
Get well man,

My dad had a stroke, and was paralyzed on his right side.
Now may never could go back to work, but hey can do anything, its just he may never get into allot of pressure. but physically he's back to normal. And i'm sure with the right attitude you'll be back on the bike in no time.

·
37,599 Posts
Fast action! glad it is working out well. Things happen fast sometimes. I had a heart attack five weeks ago, that I sure didn't expect.
:scared Hope you're doing well. :thumbup

·
37,599 Posts
Yeah like him I was lucky!

100% blockage in a branch of the Coronary Artery, luckily it was the only one that showed any blockage at all. The dr. said I should be back on top in about 6 month's .
Wow, glad to hear you'll get better. :thumbup

I bet it's killing you to not eat/drink/smoke certain things though. :lol

·
ROWDY
12,174 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you'll get better. :thumbup

I bet it's killing you to not eat/drink/smoke certain things though. :lol
Dr said to keep doing what I was! :lol He seemed to think it was just a narrow place in the artery that plugged up! not really caused from anything in particular. He did say if you were going to have a heart attack, that was the kind to have. If it was just a little different it would have been very bad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts