Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 wheels are better than 4.
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm! I am really excited because I get my 520 conversion so I get to wrenching on the bike. I loosen the front sprocket nut first - it is not reverse threaded like some people said in other threads (thanks by the way). After having to use an impact wrench to remove it I get to the rear wheel/sprocket. I get the wheel off and clean and inspect everything and go to install the sprocket and I triple check the recommended torque for the nuts that hold the rear sprocket to the sprocket carrier - 72 lb/ft. I get the torque wrench and triple check that it is set properly. I begin tightening then in stages using the old criss cross pattern. Then I attempt to apply the recommended torque and this nut will not tighten, that nut will not tighten - I did eventually get two of them to tighten to spec. I get a box end wrench to tighten the others because I had a feeling that the stud was spinning with the nut. F*** :rant ! Turns out that the nuts are just spinning - you guessed it. The damn threads got stripped. All four of the remaining bolts stripped :boom ! F'in POS Yamaha butter nuts.

Anyone else experience this? I am not sure what I should do. I think the studs should also be replaced. Should I just get a whole new sprocket carrier and 6 replacement locking nuts? I guess I can go to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up some nuts and see if I can get them to tighten on the carrier studs. Shit I am so pissed right now. I know the torque wrench is go to go because I use it several times a week and never ever had a problem with it before - never. I made sure the studs were cleaned off before attempting to tighten the nuts - to get the most accurate torque reading possible.

Shit shit shit! :bs

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that Bro. There was a thread circulating a while back in which another forum member expressed this same issue. Needless to say, he was pissed as well.
Fortunately, I didn't run into this problem when installing my rear sprocket, so maybe you guys just got a bad set? :dunno
BTW, mine are set to 72 ft.lbs as well...
I'll see if I can find that other thread for you, hang tight......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts