Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 R1 and it will not start. My battery seems fine, the lights are full and bright. Last week I started getting a 7000 code on my tach, and began having problems starting and riding the bike. I had to push start it and when it would start, the bike was verry sluggish. I read that the error code could be from the exup so I removed the exup to see if that would solve the problem. Still no dice. I also noticed a loud buzzing noise under the seat when I try to start the bike. Im thinking maybe the startor? DOnt know whats up, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You have to be a little more descriptive. When you say it won't start does that mean the starter won't crank the engine over or it cranks but won't run well?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The startor wont crank the engine over. I did find the source of the buzzing noise, Its a module that is directly connected to the battery, it has 2 fuses on it, one on each side. I checked the fuses and they are fine, I also checked the main fuse box and they are fine as well. Also, I cannot push start the bike anymore.

·
Snow's Gone>Ride On
115 Posts
hey man,
it's your battery, believe it or not. i just had the same problem this week. the thing is; if your battery has JUSTunder the recommended amount of voltage to crank your motor, it won't, but your lights will look fine. these batteries need to have AT LEAST 12 to turn the motor over.
most 12 V batteries carry around 13-14V. mine had 11.1 V and didn't turn it over and i heard the ticking. that's because your "starter relay" (the thing you identified under the seat directly behind the battery with fuses) isn't getting enough juice to make continuous contact, and therefore clicks. just like the starter in a car when the battery is low. in a car you hear the cellinoid that makes electrical contact and is located on the starter itself.
i even tried unhooking my headlights to conserve some power, but no go (i'm guessing that the battery only had about 10V available when the lights were plugged in). mine's an '02 and i just bought the bike in sept. (leftover that sat on a salesfloor for a LONG time. that's why i think my batt's gone bad)
i checked on warranty because someone said tat battteries have a 6 month. but all that shit is in the gray area according to yamaha and the dealer. they want to charge it first, and from the research i've done on that and the people i've spoken to, charging gel batteries is supposd to be pretty good. so i'm confident. i'm gonna' take it to the dealer to charge because they claim to have a special charger that charges these gel batts (high voltage, like 18-20);)

Let me know how you make out.

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
610 Posts
I am having the EXACT problem right now. My bike was making a rapid clicking noise from under the seat just like you. I thought it was a faulty relay, but upon further research, I found out it was either a dead battery, bad stator, or bad rectifier/regulator. I checked all my connections and cleaned them. Still, it was clicking. Next, I thought it was a dead battery, so I charged it. My bike started fine. BUT, my battery wasn't getting charged at all. So then the problem moves to the rectifier/regulator or the stator. I looked at the connections for the R/R and they all looked fine, no indication of burning or melting. I checked the stator output with a voltmeter and one of the 3 leads wasn't generating any power. So I bought a new stator ($215) and here I am. In fact I was trying to replace my stator an hour ago. I'm bringing my bike in the shop ASAP because you need special tools to take off the stator, and I also I wanna make sure that this is definitely the problem. Good luck man!

·
Snow's Gone>Ride On
115 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you know that your battery wasn't getting charged? Remember that the battery will not charge until 4-5000 RPM and higher. I'm guessing you didn't take a reading while you were riding...:confused:

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
610 Posts
i had it on the charger overnight, i measured the voltage off the battery in the morning (i let it sit for 30 min after i took it off the charger) I rode my bike about 5 miles down the road to the dealership. Once again I let my bike sit for a while. I measured the voltage again, and it was a lot lower. By the time I got home, the voltage was even lower than that. That's pretty much how I knew. Is anything wrong with my conclusion? Also, I saw no change in voltage while I was revving my bike to 5500RPMS, it should have been reading around 14V, mine was reading 12.5. That's what it was with the bike off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it started!!! I charged the battery for 2 hrs and the bitch started up fine. Now I have to figure out what was causing my 7000 error code on the tach, I know its exup related and I hear that it might be that the cables are too lose or too tight. I'm gonna clean off the valve and mess with the tension. Thanks for the input fellas.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I removed the exup. I rode the bike and noticed a huge power loss under 5500 rpm. Felt like a weak 600!!!! I didnt like that at all. So I cleaned out the exup and reinstalled it, I think I ****ed something up because the valve wont turn very much at all. Im taking it down to the dealership to get it looked at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts