Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my cat eliminated and no one around town will do it because they think it would look bad. I was quoted for about $500 for a complete stainless kit custom made, but have no idea or guarantee if it will look good or not either. Please, suggestions.

· Registered
45 Posts
Why wouldn't you buy one from an exhaust manufacture? At least you know its been dynoed and tested to improve performance. One bad bend from a uneducated local, and you can kiss any performance your bike has goodbye. Both Graves and Akrapovic sell Y pipes, and the slip-ons to match.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops forgot to mention I had a 2015. Also have the yoshimura exhaust on it but it's just a slip on. Not to mention this full exhaust are close to $1500 that you have mentioned and no, they do not just sell a y-pipe separate. That's my dilemma. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait it out.

· Administrator
27,552 Posts
they do not just sell a y-pipe separate. That's my dilemma. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait it out.
Exactly the new r1 has been out for a month. Gotta give it some time for exhaust companies to do there thing. Also, just because you don't see it on a website doesn't mean they don't have it. It's best to call around. :fact

· Registered
146 Posts
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the header pipes after removing the cat? or those with link pipes whats the inside diameter where it bolts onto the factory headers?

Im going to price out what it takes to build a link pipe. Looks like two 45 bends, two o2 boss's and maybe a transition to fit onto a muffler of your liking unless its the same size of the 45degree pipe.

· Premium Member
383 Posts
Thats pretty expensive for a mid pipe. Dan Moto made them for the BMW guys and it was 150 bucks and was actually pretty decent stuff. I talked to a local shop that did quality work before I bought it and they told me I was looking around $300.

At $500 you might as well spend the extra $200 and get a titanium one that is proven and backed.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats pretty expensive for a mid pipe. Dan Moto made them for the BMW guys and it was 150 bucks and was actually pretty decent stuff. I talked to a local shop that did quality work before I bought it and they told me I was looking around $300.

At $500 you might as well spend the extra $200 and get a titanium one that is proven and backed.
Yea, I was thinking of titanium as well but that'll just jack the price up more.

Just for the stainless its $300 and he showed me the price to my face and that was 1 four foot pipe, 2 45 degree bends and a 90 I think. Granted I don't know what diameter if it matters. I'm gonna do some calling around town and see again. I'm patient, but it should not be that expensive or hard to come up with something that will last.

Thanks guys.

· Banned
419 Posts
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the header pipes after removing the cat? or those with link pipes whats the inside diameter where it bolts onto the factory headers?

Im going to price out what it takes to build a link pipe. Looks like two 45 bends, two o2 boss's and maybe a transition to fit onto a muffler of your liking unless its the same size of the 45degree pipe.
I have my cat off now. I'll get you some measurements Friday.

· Registered
146 Posts
wicked! I priced some stuff real quick off burns stainless making a copy of a gp2r would cost about 800-900$ (ship to canada) just throwing numbers out: 2.5" to a 3.5" then going to their muffler that has allen screws instead of rivets making it super easy to cut down to size, cut the tip at an angle if wanted... I can't wait to start mine!!!! I just gotta wait to get the bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.