Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
R1 all the way.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm thinking about taking my cat out of the my exhaust. I haven't got aftermarket slipons yet but will get them soon. Instead of buying a Y-pipe i'm thinking i might save some $$$ and just take the cat out myself. There should be some performance difference right? And sound difference too?

·
I hate when that happens!
94 Posts
Does anyone have or know where I can get a map for A& R baffles and a Y-pipe?
Little tight on money right now, will get a custom tune soon. Just need something to get me by.

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Just before their forum dissapeared, the guy from A&R said that he's planning to get a map done with the Y-pipe. Send them an email, who knows .......

they might even change more than just the filename this time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Removal of the cat from the stock y pipe will actually result in a slight loss of horsepower. This is because the stock pipe expands to accommodate the more restrictive cat. The net result is that the exhaust gases maintain an even velocity through the cat.

Removing the cat will create an expansion chamber, causing the gas to suddenly slow down and then accelerate. Exhaust gas has mass, mass has inertia, it takes energy to overcome inertia. The good news is you can expect a horsepower loss of less than one horsepower. Eliminating the cat will make your exhaust slightly louder, but many people have posted that the sound was harsh, not deep and throaty like most people want. It also will make your bike go from a relatively clean running means of transport to a vehicle that pollutes about the same as a couple dozen large SUVs. And it's illegal, so what exactly is the point of removing it?

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
I'll gladly trade 1 hp for the reduction in heat. I'm even prepare to negotiate 2 or 3 for even less heat.

If for no other reason, that would be my motivation.

Point taken about the noise and pollution though.

must remember to add the bike to my carbon footprint .... scary.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't have a valid argument for the heat one way or the other, but personally I'm more annoyed by the heat coming off the engine itself (and the frame) when I'm at a stoplight, and that's no different than any other bike. If the heat bothers you that much, try exhaust tape, you may even gain a horse. That or stop riding in shorts and flip flops.

For the record, I have no problem with full systems, but if you're not getting any power out of a "mod" why do it? (Oh yeah, the heat.)

·
My R1 hasn't killed me yet.
134 Posts
Running a bike without a cat wont even make as much pollution as one fully smog equipped SUV. What does a bike get for mileage? 40-50 mpg? SUV-maybe 20. Thats twice as much carbon put out by the SUV than the bike. Carbon doesnt get burned up by the cat, just rearranges it through heat and catalyzation. The whole carbon/global warming caused by man is nothing but a scare tactic anyway.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Running a bike without a cat wont even make as much pollution as one fully smog equipped SUV. What does a bike get for mileage? 40-50 mpg? SUV-maybe 20. Thats twice as much carbon put out by the SUV than the bike. Carbon doesnt get burned up by the cat, just rearranges it through heat and catalyzation. The whole carbon/global warming caused by man is nothing but a scare tactic anyway.

The former EPA standards for motorcycles allowed them to produce 90 times the hydrocarbons than the current EPA standards for passenger cars and SUVs. While they might not burn as much gasoline as an SUV, motorcycles until recently produced far more harmful emissions than SUVs. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself at www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03046.pdf

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Never noticed any performance benifits, but you will have a deeper tone to the pipes..plus your nuts and leg will not cook with the heat..lol

:iamwithst......love the way the exhaust sounds now.

·
I hate when that happens!
94 Posts
The former EPA standards for motorcycles allowed them to produce 90 times the hydrocarbons than the current EPA standards for passenger cars and SUVs. While they might not burn as much gasoline as an SUV, motorcycles until recently produced far more harmful emissions than SUVs. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself at www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03046.pdf
As many bikes as you have owned, you have surpassed most of us in total emissions.
Maybe you should get a bicycle, and stop trying to make the rest of us feel guilty.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.