Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped @ a bike shop today, same thing I do every day, but today was different. I met a guy who is the undesputed yamaha God. I walk in and he is the onley one there, we start talkin about R1s and yamaha bikes in general, pretty soon he asks if I want to go in the back and check out his bike, sure why not. I round the corner and there it is, a full race R7, I allmoste pissed my self.
Any way he tells me he has ben working on Yamahas scince the 70s', he knows an R1 inside and out. The guy gave me quite a bit of advice, for one he said never to polish your' frame, he says it weakins the structureal integrity, yamaha trims the frame as much as they can to get the bike as lightt as possable. The good news is it wont make much of a difference in real world applications.
Another thing he said, you dont need to rejet your' bike ever for any reason, he says he can adjust the existing carbs in a combination of floats and needle adjustments that will do a much better job than after market jet kit. He also feminded me to spray down the external parts of the carbs with wd-40.
One other thing he will sell me factory Yamaha service manualls for my bike ( 01) for 48.00 a good deal I think, he says it is an invaluable tool if you owe a bike. Every thing is in there to do a complete tear down and rebuild. I think he can get one for any year, if any one is interested. Well the spell checker is out so please excuse all the spelling mistakes :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
manuals

Hey guys,

I'm not so sure what the difference in the manuals are, but I just bought a Haynes manual HARD COVER, for the 1998 to 2001 Yamaha R1's, and I spent a whopping $20 for the book and another whopping $5 for shipping, a total of $25. UNBEILIEVEALBE.
Not only that, but is was here in no time at all. I:rock
I work on cars all the time, and when I recieved this book, I was totaly satisified with this publication.

I'll try to get that website and post it on here soon.

Later guys,

:cool: David:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Damn, so I have spent money for nothing on the Ivan jet-needles?
But I guess this guy is pretty talented and could do things I can only dream about. I mean, I can't just sit and adjust my carbs and "guess" the performance gains like he can.
So for me.. I think still.. a new kit of needles is the best thing I can do.

Did he tell you anything about the need of having a steering damper?

Did he also tell you what spraying wd-40 did for the carbs? I heard something regarding this "technique".. that it can give a few more HP's.. or torgue. Not sure of the thruthfulness of that.

dmossyamah, I might need a service manual eventually.

ps. I'll see what I can do regarding the spellchecker. I can't pay for it so I'm not sure if I can keep the feature.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Another thing he said, you dont need to rejet your' bike ever for any reason, he says he can adjust the existing carbs in a combination of floats and needle adjustments that will do a much better job than after market jet kit.

Ok I am not argueing but how the hell can you adjust a needle that has no slots to move the clip up or down? The reason I am saying this is that an aftermarket jet kit does not just have jets in it,it also has adjustable needles where as the stock needles are not adjustable. Ivans kit for example has adjustable needles and shims for 1/2 incriments. Like I said I am not downing this guy but that does not fly with me:bs

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
he's right but the god probably knows what needles to use . from the right sources you can get jets and needle s for way less then buying a jett kit and you would just have to shim the stock needle instead of moving a clip. I would realy suggest the oem manual over a haynes. they retail at $53.00 so 56 or so aftrer tax:ugh :ugh

·
More HP, more SPEED!
15 Posts
Service manual

Hi

Service manual? Did you pay for it? :) OK, just kidding, but I have a digital "YAMAHA YZF R1 '98 (4XV1 AE1) Service manual". It's about 15 MB, and 418 pages, with pictures and everything. Does anybody interested in it? I can upload it, but whereto?

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
speedmadness.com has the r1 service manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts