Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members... I can't seem to get enough info about the R1 02-03, so can anyone put up more info about that bike... ect.. any common problem? mileage? thanks... :hellobye

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:hellobye :hellobye :hellobye :hellobye
Hello.... I'm sure there's someone here who ride a R1 02-03... pls give me some info.... :bow

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R1R00kie said:
A few problems I've run in to. Speeding tickets, constant need to replace tires, wheelies very easy.

10,000 miles and I've had no service issues.
10,000 miles without service issue? now that the bike i'm looking for :yesnod
so on average how much miles can u get out of a gallon?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AnonymousR1 said:
:iamwithst
11,000 miles on mine with no issues except a permasmile :)
wow it's great to hear that... so far I still haven't seen any mechnical complaints about the 02-03... it's too good to be true.
Can't wait to get my hands on one.... :sneaky

·
Registered
87 Posts
i HAVE AN 02, AND THE ONLY PROBLEM i HAVE IS that I am addicted. 9,000 some hard miles, no problems. I take care of it though, like it were my lady. Well better than the lady sometimes. bitchen bike when set up right!

·
18,870 Posts
bdaboi said:
10,000 miles without service issue? now that the bike i'm looking for :yesnod
so on average how much miles can u get out of a gallon?
I get about ~150 miles to a tank depending on how I ride....Whatever that equals out to...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply... after so much positive reviews from all of you, I've made up my mind on getting a 02-03... so any weak point on the bike I should look out for? ect. wiring, cooling system, chain, that spoil real easy on this particular bike?

·
My R1 STILL eats me
8 Posts
That all depends on whether or not the bike was previously taken care of (Garaged, Cleaned, Chain-Lube, Anti-Freeze changed every 5,000 miles, Oil Filter and oil changed every 3,000 miles, etc..). If you're buying it locally, my first question to the owner would be, "Has this bike ever been wrecked or involved in an accident. Then I would walk around the bike and look for any symtoms of a crash. Some people can hide them well. Also, I'd ask to take it for a test ride to make sure that all of the gauges are working properly. Both bikes are awesome. Good luck with which ever you get.

·
yamaha...what else?
136 Posts
i believe there was quite a rearset failure rate on those models but i imagine unless you were putting a lot of weight on them you may never have a problem. or just get better aftermarket ones and be safe of mind.

·
My R1 STILL eats me
8 Posts
bdaboi said:
Just a hundred? Dun think it should be that little...
I guess it depends on his front and rear sprocket sizes, and how fast he rides. I know that some of the stunters around here only get about 100 miles to a tank, but they've got huge rear sprockets. I also notice if I get 91 octane, I get crappy mileage. I have to go 93 or higher to get around 30-35 miles per gallon. I'm still breaking her in, but I've only got about 150 miles to go before she's done. Then I'll probably only get around 25 mpg :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QuickRaven_05 said:
I guess it depends on his front and rear sprocket sizes, and how fast he rides. I know that some of the stunters around here only get about 100 miles to a tank, but they've got huge rear sprockets. I also notice if I get 91 octane, I get crappy mileage. I have to go 93 or higher to get around 30-35 miles per gallon. I'm still breaking her in, but I've only got about 150 miles to go before she's done. Then I'll probably only get around 25 mpg :eek:
u are right, but the 02-03 is not gonna have the same fuel consumpsion as the 04-05. more power = mreo fuel burnt :yesnod

·
Stock Sucks
1,281 Posts
I've got a 2002. I like it to much to upgrade to the 2004 or 2005. I am very happy with it. I kept it stock for one year. I have had no mechanical problems. One thing to keep an eye on is if the bike gets washed with a hose or gets ridden in the rain you need to make sure the electrical connectors are clean and put some of that dialectic grease on them especially the rectifier regultor connector. As far as gas milage If I ride it to work I can get about 42 MPG When I ring it out on the back roads on the weekend I only get about 25MPG

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
68 Replies
38 Participants
adbl2
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing