Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Pure Rdrenaline!!!
106 Posts
bdaboi said:
Just a hundred? Dun think it should be that little...
:confused:

I have an 03 and I get about 130 miles on a full tank. I love the hell out of this bike. The minor problem I had was a slight hesitation in 1st gear when taking off from a stand still. That was solved by adjusting my idle rpm's from 1100 to 1300 and also slipping the clutch a little longer. No other complaints. The bike is damn near perfect.:riding

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: '02/'03s

r1menace said:
They don't win fights with Renault Clios! Other than that, this model is the one to own.
They don't win fights with renault clios? what does that mean? :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: '02/'03s

r1menace said:
They don't win fights with Renault Clios! Other than that, this model is the one to own.
oops sorry I just saw your post in another thread...U bumped into a renault and of course renault did more damage to your R1... :(

·
free ballin
52 Posts

never any mecanial problems had for one year , best thing ever happend to me, said i would putt it home hit 140 first 5 minutes, addicted for life, you wont worry abougt gas mileage.

·
Dial....R1 for fun
41 Posts
Yea i have the 03 R1 here in australia, love it. Had no probs although only done 7000km's. when i saw it sitting in the window of my local yamaha dealer with shining liquid silver paint i just had to have it.

·
Born on 2 Wheels
717 Posts
my 03 has 16000 miles on it and the only problem I had with it was a burnt out headlight connector for the headlight harness, but I think it was the koren made headlights my dealer sold me... now I get them from www.kryptonbulbs.com and have never had a problem again.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,015 Posts
I just got past 16000 KM on my 03. No problems at all. I'm taking it in for a service next week. I love this machine and I can honestly say I wouldn't trade it for any of the new liter bikes out there.

·
I love my wife!
781 Posts
The 02/03 is one of the best all-around bikes ever made. I may get another R1 in the future, but not at the expense of the one I have now.

IMO between that R1 and the current R1, the 02/03 has most of the strengths and few if any of the weaknesses of the newer ones. A lot less top end HP (but great midrange torque). That's about it, unless you count that they didn't come with steering dampers then.

Oh yeah, 12 or 13K miles, mostly Tail of the Dragon and now track days, no problems other than the rear sets are a little twisted. I need some aftermarket ones anyway, now that I'm doing on the track, since they scrape there.

Get one; you will not be sorry!

·
Hold my beer, Watch this!!
229 Posts
I have had 2 2003's with a total of about 40,000 miles with absolutely no problems. The way they make thier power makes them the best(FUNNEST) bike for the streets.

·
Government paid Gunslinger
809 Posts
Here's mine, I absolutely love this bike. I have about 12,000 miles on her and haven't had a single problem whatsoever. She has been babied in the sense of maintenance, but abused in the sense of how she's ridden. I'm becoming a fan of the '04-'06 models now, but I'm waiting for the next generation of R1 to be revealed before I buy another. This one is not for sale, nor will it be traded in. She's a keeper.

Attachments

·
Government paid Gunslinger
809 Posts
Oh yeah, I got so excited about posting the pic that I forgot to tell you more.......................I get maybe 30 or so miles per gallon, of course that depends on how I'm riding. She likes her rear tires, too. I've regeared with a -1 on the countershaft, and that made a huge difference in the power delivery. Yeah, it took a little off the top, but made the bike a killer down low and in the midrange, where I'm using the bike the most. There are a ton of aftermarket parts for these bikes, so modding one won't be a problem. I did have to grind down the feelers on the stock pegs, they kept grinding on the tight curves. Eventually I'll replace the stockers with a good pair of rearsets. Until then, this mod works. I'm sure you will be happy with either an '02 or an '03, the only difference being the colors. Good luck and enjoy!!

:thumbup :thumbup

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
It's taken me having the suspension professionally set up, the front sprocket changed for a smaller number of teeth one and some peg risers to get my '05 anywhere near the character of my old '03. The '03 suited me straight out of the box for road and track. The '05 has been much harder work.

Attachments

·
There can be only One
1,652 Posts
exup

keep the exup valve cables and pully system clean and lubed, because of its locatgion its likely to get wrecked if neglected....

i commute in rain or shine o mine and i F**ckin love her.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Thx you guys for the reply, I've got my bike for almost a year now. I've love it and it's problem free till recently I can't crank the engine. battery weak, after full charge lasted for 5 days(100km) and it can't crank again. sure hope it's not the coil problem. anyone noe wat's wrong?

·
There can be only One
1,652 Posts
replace the battery, chances are the cells are dead.
if this fixes it then problem fixed, if not, then you will need to start looking elsewhere. soleniod, coil, leads, ideally you'll need to get an motorbike electrician to test. But no-one i know with R1's has ever had more than a battery failure, usually caused by immobilizer/alarm. mine doesn't suffer as i commute daily.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think my techincian has manage to slove my problem. I've got a burnt magnetic coil.After changing the coil there's charge to the battery. hoorray...:jump

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
68 Replies
38 Participants
adbl2
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing