Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Need more speed
48 Posts
I love my 03 LE. Haven't had any problems I try to keep adding new things to mine to keep it feeling new to me. Top end speed, good torque, very fun up in the hills around here.

·
Born on 2 Wheels
717 Posts
bdaboi said:
Is that your bike? Limited Edition = stock paint with flames?
Yes, that was 03's limited edition model.... kinda funny, when I bought mine it was all they had left... they had to do a dealer trade to get me my blue one

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,288 Posts
You guys are starting to make me regret selling my 02 for an 04.

Either way, the 02-03 is a great bike, good luck!

·
Need more speed
48 Posts
I do love my 03 LE, but I like the undertail exhaust on the 04-06 models.

·
My R1 eats my wallet
34 Posts
After reading this post i had to get one for myself....pretty lucky to find a 2002 R1 red/white for under $5,000. But i had a lot of miles...around 26,000 is that a lot? Just put a two brother exhaust and it sounds great!.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
welcome aboard, if the pervious owner did not abuse it u will be happy that u chocse this bike... dun worry about the milege and happy ridin...:cool:

·
My R1 eats my wallet
34 Posts
Has anybody seen what graphics or decals people have done with the 2002 red/white color scheme. The white belly seems to be kinda plain and i'm guess it needs more than what the stock has on there. Any suggestions? I've been looking and i'm coming up empty. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
i HAVE AN 02, AND THE ONLY PROBLEM i HAVE IS that I am addicted. 9,000 some hard miles, no problems. I take care of it though, like it were my lady. Well better than the lady sometimes. bitchen bike when set up right!
There could be no better definition for the '02-'03 R1. Am gonna add that it has a brilliant torkey motor from low rpm which is sort of missing in the latter versions. Especially if you go down 1 tooth front, then you have a rocket ! Replace rear shock with a "gold" one, fork springs add a damper and you make a train out of it too ! I must admit that it is the bike I discovered the joy of cornering with ! And what to say about that F16-like shape ! Killer !!!:machinegu

·
I am one with the R-1
30 Posts
My 02 has 19k... Its been down for two years for renovations. I originally took it down because of a burnt stator and 2nd gear (yea... clutchless upshifts got me)

Its only been down for so long because there are so many aftermarket parts for it. I powdercoated the frame, did mad engine work, etc... I have a 04 on the track, by my 02 is my baby

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Best fuel economy and weights per SportRider and its annual bike assesments. HP numbers I find of no consequence as anything over 125 rwhp is beyond all streetbike riders and track riders too.

Fuel Economy(min/max/avg). 02': 37/52/42 07': 29/38/32

Lightest weight R1 ever built... few lbs lighter then earlier years probably due to no carbs, I would imagine.

Weights(dry/wet). 02': 411lbs./438lbs. 07' 433lbs./462lbs.

Best FI of any R1's (IMHO).
Mitsubishi built Suction Piston type FI, from F1 technology, first to be implemented on a motorcycle. I believe this is why the on/off is glitch free and so damn good.

Geometery-
From the R7, but with even slighter more aggresive swinarm angle. I believe 10.3 degrees, vs 10 degrees.

Factory Recall/TSB's-
None.

Opinion and synopsis-

For the above reasons I have bought mine and will keep mine. I have ridden all years except for 06'-07', and alas they have the unfortunate throttle lag. Found others to have poorer on/off at closed throttle. Handling sharper on newer bike stock but slight adjustement, issue solved and thensome.

As a matter fact the 07' has gone back to the same trail numbers as our year bikes. A popular track mod has been to swap triple clamps from 02'-03' year models to 04'-06'.

All R1's are amazing bikes, but for a 'street bike' I believe it will remain the best R1 till they go back to the theme of combining man and machine as they did with this itteration of R1.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Has anybody seen what graphics or decals people have done with the 2002 red/white color scheme. The white belly seems to be kinda plain and i'm guess it needs more than what the stock has on there. Any suggestions? I've been looking and i'm coming up empty. Thanks
Why? I think its fine :)

Attachments

·
2002 R1
49 Posts
power failure

My power failed today in my 02 with 9000mi I have no idea why it like something is coming loose and my battery is not charging is is my stator of my computer or what.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
What kind of power failure do u mean?if ur battery doesn't charge there might be a few possibility
1. magnetic coil spoilt (no power generated)
2. voltage rectifier burnt (no current converted to charge the battery)
3. battery spoilt (not able to be charged)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
68 Replies
38 Participants
adbl2
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing