Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Yamaha R1 2006 knocking between 3-5k rpm

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ant0ni50035tc 
#1 ·
Hello.
Ive been having all sorts of issues with this ticking slightly knocking noise that comes from the tensioner side of the engine around 3-5k rpm.
Ive taken the bike to mechanics and they refuse to work on it because they have no idea idea what it could be. I fix bikes my self and cant figure this one out for the life of me.
Its is obviously not the tensioner because its not making the noise from very low rpms and my engine runs and idles smooth until i reach 3k. I realise that its a sport bike and its not supposed to be great running down low but this is crazy.
After 5k the noise persists but not as loud except if i open the throttle and put it under load that it gets loud. Its also does it on deceleration but not always and it sounds a bit different.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH IT.
After a lot of research the only similar thing that i found was a reply to a thread here of a person that did not get a reply and a video from youtube that the guy doesnt reply but claims that the "camshaft bearing went bad" and he found metal shavings in the oil.. the struggle...
The comment goes like this:
--I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. My 04 does the same exact thing and i hate it. It feels like its running off a really bad map but it does it without the pc3 hooked up also. I'm a car mechanic, and i would have guessed a TPS but i've had the recall serviced already. It is very very hard to go 20 mph because of how rough it runs from 3-5000 rpm. It has a ticking noise that sounds like a really bad cam chain tensioner. Maybe? would that make it run funny? it runs like a carbureted bike that needs tuned or as if it has water in the gas... please help--
My 06 has no mods and is bone stock with 22000 miles on it and good service (ever since i had it at least)
I will post the link of the video here as well as a representation of it sounds like.
Link:

Guys please. If anyone knows anything please help. And thank you in advance. Even if you dont have the answer i would greatly appreciate any discussion on any possibilities that could cause this issue.
Again.. thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
The more im looking into this problem the more i believe that a crank bearing gave out. So if anyone has any thoughts on this, put your thoughts in a comment.
For now ill try putting some oil additives like lucas oil and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then bad news...

#4 ·
Ok. I just drained the oil for a quick inspection before i drop the pan. Cant add additives since they wouldn't do much so my only option is to keep inspecting and repair whats broken (hoping that i wont have to split the engine block cases).
So the oil... it came out sparkly clean without a single spec of metal shavings.. i am very confused. I rode this bike around 100 to 150 kms with this noise so it should have eaten up the bearings by now. My oil filter is also clean..
Is there a possibility that the cam chain tensioner is getting weak? I haven't heard of that before much either..

#7 ·
Just dropped the oil pan.
Found lots of pieces of broken old glue and unfortunately 2 or 3 metal shards that are as thin as a soda can.
There wasnt much metal shavings in the oil which could mean that my crank might still be ok but its most probably a rod.
I will post some pictures as soon as i disassemble the engine and locate the actual problem.

#10 ·
Ive already replaced the rotor to a brand new upgraded one (sealed magnets) 3 weeks ago. So that rules the rotor out as well. I don't see how the rotor could knock but there were lots of glue pieces in the oil pan and the oil pickup, so that could've led to the knocking issue as it might have clogged a oil valley and starved a rod of oil. I still haven't split the crank cases so all this is speculation. We'll find out soon i guess...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.