Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Star Wars
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have test rode a bunch of bikes recently (Yamaha R1, Ducati 899, Ducati 1299, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc...). My top two are the R1 and the Duc 899. I need some outside opinions of which to purchase. Pros - Cons (with explanations).

Thinks to note: (Riding since 2012)
I will use it as a daily commuter: Distance 4 to 80 miles a day
I am interested in experiencing some track days:
I am a fairly safe rider: Fwy speeds 75-85 with full gear (non-leathers).
I go to the dealer for: scheduled maintenance and repairs (Cost)

Reasons for wanting an R1 OR Duc 899:
Great bikes, love the power, look amazing, I want to stand out, and i want the "power" for when i need it, rather than needing the power and not having it.

Please keep replays professional, Thank you! :grin2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are we talking about a 2015 R1 vs 2015 899?

I have a couple of Ducs (GT 1000 and Monster 1200s)

Yamaha engineering is so much better. R1 is easier to work on and parts are less expensive. Insurance should be less on the 899.

I've ridden the 899 and own the R1. R1 is so much stable. 899 has better gas mileage. R1 has more power and much better electronics. R1 will school the 899 on the track.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Star Wars
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@frameslide:

You are correct, I was referring to both bikes being 2015. What is your opinion of the "appearance" of both bikes including: Heat exposure during long commutes, Exhaust placement, lighting, riding with a passenger, etc...?

Thank you.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't think of one reason to pick the 899 over the R1. Even insurance where I live is worse on the duke.
You will never not have the power for street riding on an R1 :)

·
Star Wars
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opinions of the "appearance" of both bikes (2015 R1 and 2015 Duc 899) including: Heat exposure during long commutes, Exhaust placement, lighting, riding with a passenger, etc...?

·
My R1 eats children
83 Posts
Love the 899 and also the new R1. Tough choice.

We could list the pros and cons of each all day long, but at the end of the day, purchasing a motorcycle is not a rational decision. It's made with the heart, not with the head.

If it's for commuting, then neither. If it's based on cost, then neither. Get a GS500.

In terms of which is best, that ultimately depends on you. Both look fantastic, though I would have to give a slight nod to the Panigale in the looks department. Ergos are similar, mainly due to the 899's improved ergonomics over it's big sister. Scheduled servicing, I have to give it to the Yamaha, Ducati belts are a bitch. "Stand out from the crowd" depends on what you plan on doing to the bike, a nicely sorted motorcycle is a thing of beauty, unless it's a GSXR (no amount of love can make one of them look good). In terms of power, mid range punch has to go to the Duc (by a bees dick of difference) and top end power to the R1.

Either bike is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wonder what kind of responses you are getting on the Ducati forum :lol

Assuming you posted there too. If not, than you only posted here and that really means you want the R1 more.

I would never own a Ducati for all the reasons already listed here. I've owned 4 R1's over the years and a total of 7 Yamahas so I'm biased

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've owned the R1 and now I have the 1199R, issue after issues. I'm on my 3rd oil leak now. Cost of ownership, if you have money, get the 899. If you want trouble free, reliable bike get the R1.
Since you want to use it to commute, the service is $450 for 7500 mile service and $1500 for the 15k service. Parts are expensive and need special tools, stands. The list piles on. Take the pitbull front pin for example, every bike out there is around 20 bucks, Panigale.... $44 dollars.

·
Star Wars
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great information.
@goofy996 = Great break down, it helps a lot. I am a tech guy so the R1 is where I want to go, but I have seen several R1's laterly and rarely any Duc's around - which is a reason I am still considering a Duc, since not so many people have them. Also, the new exhaust placement on the Duc is great, but I like throwing on an aftermarket exhaust so that i can customized the bike to be different.

Both Bikes are very similar in price, but R1 (998cc) and Duc (898cc), so price for power is a consideration for me as well. "More bang for the buck" lol

For example: I have a Gen Coupe 3.8 TK edition, but I wanted to be different so I customized it to what I liked, check it out!

2012 Hyundai (STAR WARS) Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition DARKGEN

·
My R1 eats children
83 Posts
Cheers man. I'm a Ducati nut, specifically superbikes. I feel Ducati lost it with the 1098/1198's but the Panigales are awesome bikes... even if they do use a failed MotoGP technology for the frame.

Stormtrooper 899 would be trick ;)

Nice car btw, done anything to the internals?

This is my 300hp GC8

·
Registered
74 Posts
R1 Overall a better bike . Obviously maybe not as Exotic as a Duc but like every has mention better built , more reliable and an amazing Machine .

·
Star Wars
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@goofy996 - Great idea for the name haha! Also, Nice Ride!
@Obijack - Yes I do, the HOA where i live is very annoying - Also, I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to changing the oil on bikes.

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
Then I'd go with a Japanese bike. The yamaha dealer near me wants $100 to change oil with mobile 1 synthetic lmao. Couldn't imagine what a Ducati dealer would want. Btw if out have a garage say fuc* the hoa. You need to learn to work on a bike if you own one. Just my 2 cents.

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
i'm so confused, why is every question somebody asks about a supersport always start with how's the mileage, heat during commuting?

WTF.. seriously no offense give your head a shake... it sucks on both accounts, you're shopping in the wrong isle if those are your concerns :nono:

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
well if you can't work on a bike yourself I wouldnt go with a ducati. consumer reports puts ducati and bmw on the very bottom of reliability. Yamaha was ranked #1.

bmw is so bad it has a 40% fail rate by the 4th year of ownership. ducati is almost right there with them. almost half of the owners had a failure of some kind. that's nuts.

as for power the R1 has a lot more than the 899. you'd have to move up to the 1299 to get the same kind of power.
I do however really really like the look of the ducati. hate to say it but it's a better looking bike than the R1.

but I just can't get past it's poor ratings from consumers.

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
well if you can't work on a bike yourself I wouldnt go with a ducati. consumer reports puts ducati and bmw on the very bottom of reliability. Yamaha was ranked #1.

bmw is so bad it has a 40% fail rate by the 4th year of ownership. ducati is almost right there with them. almost half of the owners had a failure of some kind. that's nuts.
quit reading consumer reports then... the topic comes up often on our local forum, maybe the owners who actually reported know shit about bikes, for the most part when you speak to actual knowledgeable owners most would not give up their BMW or Ducati, some / most of the issues they deal with are small in nature, the kind of stuff you would find written right in your maintenance manual, if you let things go without care of course its gonna fall apart, i know we all love our japanese toys but i'm always surprised to see what kind of mileage some of the local boys slap on their European toys without a single worry... statistics always always show only but one tiny side of the story :yesnod

some of these bikes have really come a long way, I would not hesitate to pick up a brand new Ducati specially the Panigale series..

i often find those who are most scared of consumer reports know very little about bike maintenance to begin with and are actually
more worried about the bill at the ducatista service shop than anything regarding the actual reliability of said bike :dunno

there's quite a few local friends who own these bikes n' they approach ownership from a different perspective, things you can let slide on maintenance
given a japanese bike will just not fly on a european, and they tend to follow exact torquing specs much closer than the rest of us feel necessary

·
My R1 eats children
83 Posts
quit reading consumer reports then... the topic comes up often on our local forum, maybe the owners who actually reported know shit about bikes, for the most part when you speak to actual knowledgeable owners most would not give up their BMW or Ducati, some / most of the issues they deal with are small in nature, the kind of stuff you would find written right in your maintenance manual, if you let things go without care of course its gonna fall apart, i know we all love our japanese toys but i'm always surprised to see what kind of mileage some of the local boys slap on their European toys without a single worry... statistics always always show only but one tiny side of the story :yesnod

some of these bikes have really come a long way, I would not hesitate to pick up a brand new Ducati specially the Panigale series..

i often find those who are most scared of consumer reports know very little about bike maintenance to begin with and are actually
more worried about the bill at the ducatista service shop than anything regarding the actual reliability of said bike :dunno

there's quite a few local friends who own these bikes n' they approach ownership from a different perspective, things you can let slide on maintenance
given a japanese bike will just not fly on a european, and they tend to follow exact torquing specs much closer than the rest of us feel necessary
Perfectly put. Japanese bikes tolerate poor servicing better than Ducatis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
We_R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing