Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't get it.

Already got high gearing, TCS, and the crossplane. Who's complaining about wheelies on an r1? I'd rather they did more to curb slides and highsides.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
..curb highsides? thats called throttle control. =D
Same could be said of controlling wheelies. But since they figured out how to "control" those, they might as well put the research into the issues I highlighted.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I’ve seen the latest YouTube Dyno numbers of the 2019 bmw s1000rr.

206 hp at the rear wheel.

And I’ve heard the bmw super bike team is using the stock engine. It’s a monster.

Yamaha will need to come up with a lot more than a smoother LIF system. A lot more.

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyno numbers don't tell the whole story. Dynos can read low and dynos can read high. Lets see it on the racetrack.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If faster lap times are the goal, which it seems like it is, I think it’s great.
If your front wheel is going up you are losing drive forward, either through electronics or throttle.
You don’t see Moto GP or WSBK bikes doing crazy wheelies everywhere.

But.. for the people that want to do the 2 mile stand up wheelie ( it’s awesome 👏 ) I’m sure this will be easy to turn off.

Unless I’m mistaken some of this technology is already used in the current R1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meh…
Is LIF switchable on the current R1… Yes.
So do you think it wouldn’t be if they moved it from the ECU to the ABS???
As for matching the current bikes out there, it is clear that the Duc V4 is the target, a reverse Crank is one of the most likely changes, and maybe swapping from Big Bang to Double pulse firing order (Still cross Plane)
The New M Already has all the upgraded Gizmos so clearly they are not going to let others get away on the electronics front.
Then comes the question of Variable Valve Timing…
That looks like it will be the next big thing, Until the torque of electric bikes makes it all irrelevant.
And the only thing here that would inhibit Wheelies is the reverse crank, and the Duc shows it can still wave its front wheel in the air, so nothing to stress about boys and girls.

·
(insert witty statement here)
254 Posts

Unless I’m mistaken some of this technology is already used in the current R1.

Agree with you on everything.

I think the only difference is using the rear brake to control wheelies vice cutting the throttle a hair, which is what is being done now.

Ideally, you as a rider would have zero idea how the front wheel doesn’t go completely airborne when you nail the throttle. My 16 cuts the throttle to keep it under control...but if someone hopped on my bike and I told them it was an auto rear brake that controlled it, I’m betting it would feel no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, this is a solution in search of a problem! Yamaha spends god knows what on R&D but they'd probably be better off hiring some college kid to read The R1 Forum and report back to Yamaha what people want! Hell...I'd be satisfied if they'd do SOMETHING about the dodgy throttle response they seem incapable, or unwilling to fix, improve the fuel economy, better control the engine heat, supply a battery that lasts, and for god's sake include a more comfy seat! They will say it will lead to quicker lap times..so what! Racers will have full custom setups anyway, but I guarantee the typical trackday riders, even the really quick ones, would be quicker still, and for longer, with these improvements. It would make for a better street bike as well leading to more sales imop

Perhaps it's time for a full homologation special for those who think they need this type of stuff, or leave it to the M model, and yes, if it's not designed to be turned off customers will be pissed.

More horsepower!? Really? Unless you winding it out in every gear you're not using what you already have. How many times does the average R1 rider rev it out through the gears when they go for a ride? Honestly? Probably never. Maybe once or twice out on some empty interstate highway--yeah I've seen the you tube videos too. Yamaha's philosophy hasn't really been about chasing huge hp numbers but controlling the power and improving chassis feel etc so you can use what's there, and the more they chase more power, the worse the bike gets for the street--and average street rider. If they can fix all these issues WITH more power, great, I'll be impressed, but I won't buy one cause I won't be able to afford and I'm not going to subsidize Yamaha and those that can.

Come on Yamaha, build a great R1 STREETBIKE and save all that for the "M"

·
My R1 go to warp drive
490 Posts
If they added this system, what would be great is if you could control the wheelies with modes or custom setting. Race mode, keep the wheel down for drive during races; fun mode to let the wheel go up to a certain level and gently brought down; and stunt mode where you can pop that clutch and it will 12 o'clock and nothing further. I'm Ok with electronics to make us enjoy these bikes a bit more. I remember when Marc Marquez first came to MotoGP, he was racing and hit Danny Pedrosa rear wheel. Once Danny tried to drive out of a corner, he crashed instantly because he lost the traction control. As good as these guy are, the electronic packages are what makes them appear to be gods on two wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah ...ok I get your point-fair enough-I'm sure the MT-10 is a good bike but it's not an R1! I just don't understand why they can't or won't build a better street going R1! When Yamaha made the decision to cross the line to emphasize track performance over streetability (if that's a word?) I just feel Yamaha dumped on a lot of their previous customers who helped make them successful and profitable over the years. I never really got the marketing concept behind the R1s model--a lesser R1 but also NOT better for the street?--and too close in price anyway.

Look at the CP3 engine/frame combo--there is the XSR 900, FZ/MT-09, FJ-09/Tracer, and now even the Niken! You mean to tell me they can't figure out how to put a full or mostly full fairing on an MT-10 like a Ninja 1000 for example. Or again just offer the R1s (hell they already spent the money to R&D and build it!) with some better street manners, i.e. slightly higher bars and windscreen, better seat, better mileage etc etc like I said. People like the sport bike look even though most don't track or race, and I believe there is still enough of a customer base to support such a bike but I guess Yamaha's marketing research tells them otherwise-I'll just keep enjoying my 03!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Man... there is so much here ...
I'm sure the Yamaha sponsored race teams all over the world would love for Yamaha to make a more comfortable R1.

The fact is Yamaha and other manufacturers technology trickles down from WSBK and Moto Gp. In my opinion, the 2015 R1 was the greatest example of this! For the first time ever an 'average joe" could use some of the technology that is being used in moto gp. (Slide control comes to mind) you get better technology that makes you faster and SAFER!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts