Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
shut up and hold on
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to speculate why Yamaha doesn't develop an "Ultra Sport" (Busa, ZX14) competitor? Why do I care ?First, I like Yamaha styling better than those two and second, big blue engineering makes machines with some serious top end.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
There is a limited market for these bikes and Yami has never shared in the historical sales with 'zuki and kawi. Dumping tons of money into R&D on a new bike only to have poor total sales would be a poor business move. Honda found out the hard way that this is a difficult nut to crack with the Raven, or whatever they called that bike.

I'd love a ZX-14 if was a Yamaha. :)

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
I agree the market is somewhat smaller for these bikes.. but I just dont see Yamaha competitive in a market where torque is just as important as horsepower.

Even in the literbike area.. Kaw and Suzuki have constantly battle back and forth for the Dyno King award since 2001. Steppin up the engine size to 1300 or 1400cc's.. I think Kaw and Suzuki would only distance themselves more in the power department from the rest of the Japanese sportbike manufacters.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
I don't think its that Yami is incapable of producing a potent competitor to the 'busa or ZX14. Their current philosophy of building engines for the R1 does not revolve around low engine speed torque so its no coincidence that they do not perform well in that regard. Conversely, look at the purpose built Yamaha MT-01. It makes 60% (110+ ft/lbs) more torque than the R1 and it does it barely off idle at 2200 RPM.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2460

If Yami wanted to build a "muscle bike" they could and I'm sure it would be great but like it was said earlier they probably can't make money on a bike like this.

·
RUSH HOUR RIDERS
2,374 Posts
If yamaha made one I would definitely buy it. I think it would hurt R1 sales if they did though.

·
shut up and hold on
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Economics, I know

Zuki pushed out 10,000 units in 07 of a bike acknowleged to have less performance than the ZX-14. That shows there is a market for this segment. As for the R&D cost I agree it could be a gamble. But the raptor link above shows an interesting concept with several variations based on a common powertrain. That would cut down on some of the costs with the "Power Bruiser" going to Star and the sport/sport touring bikes carried by Yamaha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.