Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
3-2-1 GO!!!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maxum One of the Top oil producers says they recomend full Synthetic oil to their race teams to break in their motors.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
You can tell them to break their engines them selves with those chemicals...

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can break an engine in using water, but that wouldnt do it much good either!

·
Registered
633 Posts
accce said:
Maxum One of the Top oil producers says they recomend full Synthetic oil to their race teams to break in their motors.
We're talking race bike vs street bike. 2 different machines? :dunno

·
Banned
65 Posts
DO NOT break in a 4 stroke motor with synthetic. I've done it, it never seals and burns oil like a motha.

·
Moving sucks...
10,144 Posts
My 998 Ducati rolled off the showroom floor with synthetic oil in it, I'm almost certain. After 1600 miles, it's not burning any oil.

New Porsche's are delivered with Mobile-1 (not that I'd ever buy one again).

Everyone has their own personal theory about engine break-in, but almost no one has done an in depth analysis, with hard physical evidence that their way is best. I follow the manual and have never had a motorcycle engine failure or serious problem. The "drive it like ya stole it" crowd makes me glad I don't buy used bikes, but I don't have any evidence to prove that they're doing anything harmful to their motors...

Moon

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There is no general rule. The user break-in is only half of the story and has to be seen in context with what has been done at the factory.
Prosche as an example has test drivers. Every Porsche is driven by these drivers (en extended drive, not just round the block) and the initial break-in was done in this time.
However, in both cases I still have my doubts. Who tells you the initial fill of the Porsche actually was Mobile 1. Who tells that the Duc was filled with synthetic?

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
Ok petroleum is good for breaking in then after 1500 it is recommended to use synthetic for simple reason petroleum is considered "dirty mineral" consists of metals and other molecules, what's it mean to your first 1500 miles ? simple for first 1500 miles your piston rings settle in and thus require some metals to seal in once the engine is off and cooled down....
Synthetics are the cleanest oils because chemists can make them whatever they want them to be, so in other words they contain no sulfur, no phosphorus, and no metals. <---- :fact It's really simple logic I can go in depth with this topic though it would take a long time and I tend to suck with essays and such :beer

·
3-2-1 GO!!!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mercedes-Benz recommends Synthetic in all their AMG cars and they all come from the factory with mobil . Motorcycle engines are built to such high tolerences that the rings seal with in the first hundred miles.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
accce said:
Mercedes-Benz recommends Synthetic in all their AMG cars and they all come from the factory with mobil . Motorcycle engines are built to such high tolerences that the rings seal with in the first hundred miles.
That's because every engine is broken in with petroleum base oil before it leaves the factory

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
:)
also to add to this Synthetic oil's heat transffer is much greater than non-synthetic, Film strenght is much higher in synthetic oils unlike in non-synthetic synthetic can withstand 3200 PSI!!!!
and non synthetic is 400-700 PSI ( here's the reason why you have to use synthetic after 1500 miles )

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Let's remember that different oils mean different things when they say synthetic. Most oils that claim to be synthetic do not, in fact, have a 100% composition of synthetic esters. Many claim to be synthetic when in fact they are semi-synthetic. Sportrider's two part oil article was awesome. I don't remember off the top of my head if Mobil One has the same level of synthetic base esters as Motul 300v or something of that nature. All I know is that a full synthetic is too slick to break in an engine with. But the Yamalube is not full synthetic by any means. It more closely resembles a petroleum oil than a synthetic. Do not break in with a full synthetic.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
One last thing about synthetic oils.. Their lubrication range is
-60 to + 420 F (depending on brand and components used) while petroleum -20 to + 310 F.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
I think this became the most reasonable post as to why break in with petroleum base and why use synthetic after 1500 miles :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
petroleum is considered "dirty mineral" consists of metals and other molecules
I don't know what oil is used in the U.S., but metal surelly isn't supposed to be in there.
It also needn't be for breaking in the motor, metal to metal friction is what breaks in piston rings, thus generating metal particles that are washed away by the oil. The main difference between synthetic and non synthetic oil simply is that you have more control on the length of the HC-chains contained in the oil in synthetic oils while mineral oils allways contain a variety off different length chains (different length = different properties/viscosity)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts