Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading what seems to be hundreds of posts about the 2004 R1's horsepower advantages and disadvantages... this horsepower, that horsepower, this torque, that torque, whatever rpm, yada yada yada....

What about the fact that the new bike handles worlds better than the old? Does anyone care about that? I've had my share of the discussions on the powerband, but let's get down to the basics..... more power (doesn't have to be the most people!), improved handling (of which the stock steering damper only provides a small amount of the improvement), and the best looks on the market, means a great overall package.

And that's what matters most. :hellobye

·
Ah the joys of the twisties
1,771 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:

What about the fact that the new bike handles worlds better than the old?

Tell me are you that good a rider that you really notice the diference:dunno

What I do know is that the 02 model is the best handling bike I've ever ridden,but i haven't ridden the 04 yet.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:
What about the fact that the new bike handles worlds better than the old? Does anyone care about that?
Worlds better is a strong statement. Any advancements made are probably incremental. Worlds better would be cutting 2-3 seconds off average lap times. I doubt that would be the case.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: Re: You Guys Are Missing The Point!

D3LS M said:
Tell me are you that good a rider that you really notice the diference:dunno

What I do know is that the 02 model is the best handling bike I've ever ridden,but i haven't ridden the 04 yet.
BEST BIKE IS RIGHT

but i avent ridden an 04 either.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have a 2002 R1 with 33,000 miles and a 2004 R1 with 1,500. All by me.

So I guess I'm not qualified to make the comparison between the two bikes as evidenced by those who posted.... none of whom own a 2004 R1.

'nuff said.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, you don't have to be on a track to be able to determine a bikes handling capability.....

So how fast have you gotten your bike to?

·
Backin it in at a track near u
296 Posts
I agree with you Ruffstuff.... I care much more about the handling than the raw horsepower, because without the handling you'd never be able to put all of that power to use (other than straight line riding)... personally I can feel pretty small differences in the handling of bikes... I've only been racing for one year so I'm by no means an expert on the subject but it doesn't really take a MotoGP pro to find the ups/downs of a bikes handling

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:
I only have a 2002 R1 with 33,000 miles and a 2004 R1 with 1,500. All by me. 'nuff said.
And I'm still a better rider than you. (don't get mad, just busting your chops) So what's your point?

And yes, I have ridden every year R1 including an 04.

·
Backin it in at a track near u
296 Posts
Turbo329 said:
Yes, you do.

That's what they were designed for.
True they were designed with racing/sport riding in mind.. However you can gain lots of info about a bike's handling capabilities while riding on your favorite stretch of curvy road.... now when it comes to trying to explore the limits of the handling, you definately need to take your butt to a track

·
Registered
237 Posts
:thumbup I for one, definitely agree that the 04 handles a hell of alot better !! The damn thing is like a Cadillac..... You can tell the difference just in the first few miles....Trust me,,, All you Jerky Boys who are still waiting for your bike,,,,you will soon see!

:bow This R1 was made to be worshipped:bow

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:
After reading what seems to be hundreds of posts about the 2004 R1's horsepower advantages and disadvantages... this horsepower, that horsepower, this torque, that torque, whatever rpm, yada yada yada....

What about the fact that the new bike handles worlds better than the old? Does anyone care about that? I've had my share of the discussions on the powerband, but let's get down to the basics..... more power (doesn't have to be the most people!), improved handling (of which the stock steering damper only provides a small amount of the improvement), and the best looks on the market, means a great overall package.

And that's what matters most. :hellobye

:iamwithst

My last bike was a 2000 R1, now that I have put about 500 miles on her I totally agree with you. Although I never did ride an 02-03. This 04 is incrediable. I feel that the ride comfort and the handling is more important than the most peak HP. There all so close anyway. Oh ya the other thing that is important is the Gixxer is in last in the Hp department...:):):)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Man..the 04 haters are coming out of the wood.. and those who say you can't feel the diffence in hadling when riding on the street then you is just false and compromises your stand on your own riding talent..I can totally tell my RS250 (track bike) out handled my 02 r1 when taking a average radius turn on the street...I guess you need a take a chopper on the track to see it handles like a truck.. Good post ruffstuff..:thumbup

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
despite the differences.......i still take either :p

·
Registered
587 Posts
haha...who is saying you have to be a on track to know the difference of an 02 and an 04 in handling? are you people that egotisical to think if your not on a track that your not smart enough to realize how a bike handles based on the personal riding style that each and everyone of you have?!

I can tell a difference of how a bike handles at any speed, and I dont need to be on a track and pretend I'm speed racer to understand what I feel suits as a better handling machine that relfects my style of riding.

so much double standards going on here.

I mean 90% of these comments of people who say you need to be on a track to know this and that are the guys who will never be real racers, and will forever been known as the club nerd who trailer there bike to the track in hopes of being the next william hung..she bang, she bang, she move she move...lol

please, get over yourself's and stop believing you have a better insight on a motorcycle becuase you do track riding..

you have ego's that are self made..go earn the ego son..

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Re: Re: You Guys Are Missing The Point!

R1LOVER said:
Oh ya the other thing that is important is the Gixxer is in last in the Hp department...:):):)

I think you better look at that dyno chart again....I see the G1k kicking some R1 ass all the way up the rev range so the R1 peaks out a little higher, by then it wouldn't matter ;)

·
No Brakes!
69 Posts
response

For what it's worth in my book....horsepower after a certain point, is really just kinda braggin rights....my new 04 handles better than anything I have ridden...that works well for me....

another point of perspective:...I went to road race school last year at JenningsGP in Fla....my instructor was riding a Rsv 650 suzuki track bike...except for the long straights...he kicked my R1's butte in the corners....one factor is my lack of experience but his 60 some Hp was impressive....I think handling is very important...

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
a 200% stiffer chassis than 03s has to be a good thing. along with changed geometry, brakes etc etc. i think the truth is that some people only feel horsepower is a determining factor. sad but true. same as people modding engine performance before suspension/chassis mods, which in my humble opinion is the first thing that should be setup/individualised.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
This is a little bit off you topic but since the '04 owners are reading this thread - when people talk about the missing low-end torque give a feedback by ability to power-wheelie. (I know R1Lover has some measurement there)

* no tugging on the bars either *

For instance at what rpm can you bring it up in 1st?

And at what rpm can you bring it up in 2nd?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts