Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, haven’t had time to do track days in 2 years now. Last year turned my R1 back into street for a couple rides around here and a trip to Deal’s Gap area. Lot of fun. Still don’t have time this year for the track except for possibly July 4th weekend. Just the way life works out unfortunately.

Normally ride top of A group with slicks/tire warmers and that whole deal. Also have a CBR1000RR that I’d like to try out on the track (also currently street legal). Both bikes have new Q3+ tires. Both have proper suspension set up now. They both handle amazing.

Don’t want to buy a $400+ set of tires for either or both bikes just for 1 weekend. Have street rides planned for both bikes throughout the year. Also concerned about shredding a set of street tires at a track weekend (although that’s not all that bad because I’d just get another set of street tires and be good to go for street riding again).

Anyone ever just go to the track and not ride balls out? I mean, sounds like I could slow the pace down a little and be fine with the Q3+ tires and sharpen some skills and have some fun no?

What about riding Intermediate? A group is faster but also more consistent and predictable in my experience. Wonder if I should stick to A because of that and just be one of the slower riders...

Opinions welcome

·
Registered
321 Posts
I ran Q3+ up to mid of pack A group. Tires will be fine.
I would have gone with Q4 for street/track as they are more grippy, but don't last as long.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
546 Posts
You'd get out on the track and be back tearing up the asphalt before you get to turn 4 lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
As long as you don’t get white line fever and can handle cutting laps at the back of the pack, the tyres will be fine for slow A

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Just take it easy knowing you’re going to bring your bike home in one piece. Those are my thoughts during a track day. I have never ridden hard at any track day. Just as fast as I can comfortably. You’re not winning any money nor trophies.

Try B group so the A group guys don’t pressure you into going faster.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just take it easy knowing you’re going to bring your bike home in one piece. Those are my thoughts during a track day. I have never ridden hard at any track day. Just as fast as I can comfortably. You’re not winning any money nor trophies.

Try B group so the A group guys don’t pressure you into going faster.
Thats the thoughts for me also. Riding hard for me is fast but not at full race pace for the same reasons you listed. I like going fast and pushing the bike and passing people in close proximity. But, it’s not a race and I have to go to work on Monday and like my bikes in 1 piece. A group being more consistent and predictable (although faster). And less crowded by a long ways (usually). Might have a much better chance at the coming home in 1 piece thing.
Appreciate the thoughts and comments so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Absolutely. Put yourself in B group and give yourself some specific and measurable things to work on. You could start by finding reference points and WRITING THEM down, to challenge yourself to learn the track better and quicker. You could work on hitting the apexes more consistently or smoothing out your throttle control. Whenever I do a track day, or even when I just bust out a fun lap here or there while coaching I try and have a plan in mind for something specific to work on. So even though speeds are slower I'm still building skills and working on my techniques. If you do find that you are passing lots of people in the B group then you can work on visual skills and widening your field of view to be able to pass quickly, safely and easily. There are tons of benefits to slowing down the pace a bit and working on perfecting technique.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,584 Posts
:iamwithst:

I am head slow poke in A!

I've run a session on my sport touring "rain" tires, and was running nearly the same pace, but after a few laps I could feel them over heat and get squirmy, so I backed the pace off by 4-5 sec a lap and finished the session. My legs and body was what brought me in, not the tires.

·
10,584 Posts
Fun and learning...

·
10,584 Posts
July 26/27...NCBike

·
Venom X/O
23,865 Posts
It trips me out how people get so competitive at track days. Just chill. That ain’t directed towards anybody in here; just speaking on my track day experiences.

Shit is suppose to be fun.
That’s just someone a slow guy would say

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha ha. You guys are hilarious.

Gonna go this weekend and do A group and just not worry about going as fast. Got the CBR all prepped. R1 ran for 20 miles like a bat out of hell with the engine rebuild. Then I broke the stupid plastic water pipe on the upper right side of the bike. Got one on order. Hoping it comes in by Thursday so I can get it all together, test ride for at least 100 miles or so, and prep it for track duty. Will be fun if I can have 2 bikes at the track and compare the 2. Even if they are older than dirt by today’s standards, lol.

2004 CBR1000RR and the R1 is a 2006.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know where you ride, but my suggestion would be A group for sure. The experience levels, predictability and lack of other riders in the session would far outweigh worrying about being slow in the group. Ride your ride, if the faster A group guys want to get around, they will.
I was at Road America this Monday and Tuesday. It was an absolute shit show in intermediate on Monday. I had never been to a track day with as many red flags and lost sessions due to stupidity. Tuesday was a lot better, but still a lot of wrecks. Have fun and ride your ride.

·
Just Me.
283 Posts
It's shocking how many people post on different forums saying they are not fast, yet in person, they are running anywhere between 10-15% slower than MotoAmerica Superbike race pace at TDs. Yeah, okay. Who are you kidding?

I've personally had people point out my mistakes and have had others who told me my lines were clean and smooth. I've also noticed it depends on the organzation and the riders showing up on 'Any Given Sunday.' I noticed a clear distinction between A-Group and B-Group. One org I've ridden with broke it down by lap time. If you can run X:XX:XX smoothly, you should be in 'this' group. Taking advice from control riders and those normally in A-Group, as long as you're predictable, smooth, and can run a decent pace, that's what they want to see as it keeps things safe.

I love A-Group because I get to follow fast people and improve. I'm more toward the back of A-Group. I can ride B-Group and do well. My main thing is consistent improvement.

One other thing, and I'm not saying I'm 'fast,' but I do remember passing every single person at Chuckwalla one TD. They stuffed all the riders who were trying to get their racer's license into A-Group, and moved the slower A-Group folks into B-Group. After passing everybody in B-Group, on like the 6th session, 'they' sent some of the CVMA racers who ride 300s to show me I wasn't fast. That was exciting, and since it was late in the day, I was tired.

Time to follow a few of you to see if I can keep up. Let's get it. Finally, we can meet in person.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts