Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,848 Posts
They are always trail breaking to the apex.

If you use more track the corner has a larger radius so you can go faster.

The example you site was a block pass attempt and the outside rider had to change his line at the apex because the other rider was there. So this was a softener issue. Miguel took the race line though the corner so he could carry more speed.

·
963 Posts
They are always trail breaking to the apex.

If you use more track the corner has a larger radius so you can go faster.

The example you site was a block pass attempt and the outside rider had to change his line at the apex because the other rider was there. So this was a softener issue. Miguel took the race line though the corner so he could carry more speed.
It look obvious both were too fast and had to go wide and that enabled Miguel to pass them

·
Registered
115 Posts
when they too fast entering the corner, they have to go wide to slow the bike or risk losing the front from braking in the curve
That is true. If you enter a corner too fast then you sometimes end up running wide at the exit due to trying to scrub off enough speed before you turn the bike. This happens a lot when racing as riders try and out-brake each other. One rider may brake later and deeper, only to be passed on the exit because they ended up running wide.

What else causes riders to run wide at the exit of corners?

·
963 Posts
windy today; 20-30 mph gusts and crosswind: can i ignore the wind and go to 160 mph ? will i crash if i'm too fast in windy conditions ?

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,848 Posts
Yep, because you should be on a racetrack!

·
Registered
115 Posts
me;
the fear leads to indecisive decision; to either lean more or try and slow the bike. better to lean more and trust the tires
Exactly! Fear causes survival reactions to kick in that make the rider do things that the brain instinctively does for survival's sake, but which usually makes the situation worse! Target fixation, tunnel vision, getting tense and stiff on the bike, all of these are involuntary reactions by your body because of fear (fear of not being able to turn the bike quickly enough, fear of entering the corner too fast...) The key is to understand your fear, what it does to your riding and to practice how to overcome those survival reactions.

In your case, you say that fear causes indecisive decisions where you either try and slow the bike or you try and lean it more. These two choices arise from a need to prevent the bike from running wide....so what I suggest you look at first is WHY are you feeling like you are going to run wide in the first place?

Think about these two things first. 1. What are you looking at when you enter a corner and when are you looking?

2. Where are you turning the bike? For example, if you turn a bike too early or too far from the inside, the bike will run wide and you will end up having to either, slow the bike, or lean it more.....see what I'm getting at?

:)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well, here we go again. I’m headed to Grattan Raceway for a track day on Saturday, July 3rd. Just doing the one day. Will head out on Friday evening. The tires are still looking good but considering changing them at the track for whatever Michelin’s equivalent is (that’s the brand that’s sold at the track).

Anyone else coming out for this weekend at all?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, here we go again. I’m headed to Grattan Raceway for a track day on Saturday, July 3rd. Just doing the one day. Will head out on Friday evening. The tires are still looking good but considering changing them at the track for whatever Michelin’s equivalent is (that’s the brand that’s sold at the track).

Nice, enjoy! Let us know how it goes. Do you have any goals for the weekend? Things you hope to accopmlish or plan on working on?

·
Registered
234 Posts

I think a Power 2CT is comparable to a Q3. If a Q3+ is a bit softer, perhaps a Power GP which is a 50/50 track/street tire. Depending on how hard you push, one might be better than the other but on tire wear is a concern, because to want life after the track a Power 2CT will hold up better but will be less grippy. I’ve run just about every Michelin on the track, from street performance to slicks. I wouldn’t personally do a track day with anything less than a Power GP which I can easily run A group pace with but I’m also not concerned with chewing through tires. Currently I only run Cup2 and PS2, depending on whether the track I’m going to has power hookups for warmers or not. The Cup2, like the PowerGP, heat up really quick without warmers.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Nice, enjoy! Let us know how it goes. Do you have any goals for the weekend? Things you hope to accopmlish or plan on working on?
#1 Dont crash
#2 Dont blow anything up
🤣

But other than that, body position (specifically thru the corners). I’m getting too old with knee issues to get it perfect but I know that I tend to get lazy. My track riding definitely transfers over to my street riding so I think the track is a perfect place to focus on that without the concerns of street riding.

The other thing is smooth throttle input. This becomes more important on the track with street (ish) tires I’ve found. They definitely slide around a bit more than slicks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I think a Power 2CT is comparable to a Q3. If a Q3+ is a bit softer, perhaps a Power GP which is a 50/50 track/street tire. Depending on how hard you push, one might be better than the other but on tire wear is a concern, because to want life after the track a Power 2CT will hold up better but will be less grippy. I’ve run just about every Michelin on the track, from street performance to slicks. I wouldn’t personally do a track day with anything less than a Power GP which I can easily run A group pace with but I’m also not concerned with chewing through tires. Currently I only run Cup2 and PS2, depending on whether the track I’m going to has power hookups for warmers or not. The Cup2, like the PowerGP, heat up really quick without warmers.
I run warmers at the track always so no issue there. I honestly haven’t kept up with what’s out there in the Michelin world so that’s good info. Thanks. The tire guys at the track are a good source of info as well. I might run the current ones until lunch and switch over to a new set of Michelins depending on how the wear is looking.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
It was a great track weekend. After 2 sessions of slipping and sliding all over the damn place on my Q3+ set, I gave up and went and got a set of Michelin Power Cup 2 tires. What a difference. The rear isn’t nearly as good as a slick but as long as I kept good throttle discipline out of the turns it was a non issue. They stuck very well. The front sliding issue almost completely disappeared. I went from back of the group to being able to pass people. Which is always more fun 😁

Rear tire wear is dialed in pretty close to perfect. Trying to sort out a little front wear issue (posted in the chicken strip thread).

Track days are a lot of work and I’m beat. But they’re definitely a lot of fun. I really need to get a dedicated track bike and then a street bike. I have 2 currently but I’m just not in love with my other bike (2004 CBR 1000RR). If I could find another 2006 R1 in very good condition I’d buy it up instantly...

·
Registered
234 Posts
It was a great track weekend. After 2 sessions of slipping and sliding all over the damn place on my Q3+ set, I gave up and went and got a set of Michelin Power Cup 2 tires. What a difference. The rear isn’t nearly as good as a slick but as long as I kept good throttle discipline out of the turns it was a non issue. They stuck very well. The front sliding issue almost completely disappeared. I went from back of the group to being able to pass people. Which is always more fun 😁

Rear tire wear is dialed in pretty close to perfect. Trying to sort out a little front wear issue (posted in the chicken strip thread).

Track days are a lot of work and I’m beat. But they’re definitely a lot of fun. I really need to get a dedicated track bike and then a street bike. I have 2 currently but I’m just not in love with my other bike (2004 CBR 1000RR). If I could find another 2006 R1 in very good condition I’d buy it up instantly...
Yea, the Cup2 is a great DOT race tire.

·
Venom X/O
25,413 Posts

Who’s your local tire rep?

81 - 100 of 112 Posts